The Do All Choice

I play Alto, Tenor and Bari saxophones and am versed in the benefits of mouthpiece choices for the instrument. I've been given a couple of clarinets (Boosey and Hawkes 2-20 and a Buffet B12) and would like to start playing them. The mouthpieces they came with (the B&H came with a B&H MP and the Buffet with a OY Hite mouthpiece) are very difficult for me to get much from and feel I need something a little more open. I'm assuming clarinets like saxophones have a mouthpiece that's like the Selmer S80 C* which could cover my legit needs and allow me to make do for my initial jazz needs. Just want to ease my troubles.

Thanks!

It seems that most "classical" clarinet mouthpieces have a tip opening around .039 to .044 inches (1.0 to 1.09 mm). My favorite jazz piece is a John Pierce, which has an opening of .055 (1.40 mm). Unfortunately, they are no longer in production. Peter Ponzol also made a piece that was .053, but once again no longer available. Junkdude sells Ralph Morgan pieces (made from Ralph's blanks). The Jazz model is available in 1.25, 1.35 and 1.45 mm sizes. No affiliation, but Dave is a good guy to deal with.

Here is an interesting chart, although it is by no means comprehensive. Notice the clustering in the low .040 range.

Back
Top Bottom