The Metropolitan Museum of Art: Celebrating Sax ~ Instruments and Innovation

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
This special display of instruments made by three generations of the Sax family marks the bicentenary of the birth of Adolphe Sax. Rare saxophones, brass instruments, and an exquisite ivory clarinet are among the twenty-six instruments selected to showcase the inventions and innovations of this important family.

There are few instrument makers who have become a household name. The eponymous instruments of Adolphe Sax have had a wide-reaching impact on music and society. Patented in 1846 and conceived as a military band and orchestral instrument, the saxophone is now integral to many different types of music around the world. Through jazz and pop, it achieved the type of universal popularity matched by few other instruments. During Sax's life, military and band music were transformed by saxhorns, his innovative family of brass instruments. The saxhorn fueled the brass band movement, which opened up music making to the working classes. Modern day euphoniums, tenor horns, and baritones are all descendants of the saxhorn family.

Read more: http://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions/objects?exhibitionId={a427663c-7533-4867-9794-2a5fac26eca4}#!?page=1

tenorvalvetrombone.jpg

Ooh; that's cool.
The date and manufacturer they have on that bass sax in the met link is wrong though, it's from 1919 and is clearly marked as a Buescher based upon what they say, not an EBICo.
(of course they also say Buescher was the first company to make saxes in the US, so they don't seem to be very good at checking facts, that would be conn in 1888, although Gus Buescher probably was involved in building it.

Museums aren't that great with accurate information. We have a music museum out here in Phoenix, AZ that marked a couple Conns as being from 1914. That's a patent, not the year the horn was made, and it's not even a Conn patent. Further, one of my more popular pages on my website is for Claude Laurent flutes. I've found inaccuracies in many, many museums.

I probably should start sharing some data with them. I'll add it to my 50 mile long to-do list :D.

Some fantastic stuff there!

Back
Top Bottom