Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

The Upgrade Thread

Ed

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
We are going to move to a different software product for the community in the next week or so. We will be moving to a product called VBulletin which we believe will address some of the strange cookie issues that some users have experienced.

We will announce a cut off date when we'll have some posts lost in space but it should be minimal.

The initial testing has went well but we still have some things to work out so that it goes as smoothly as possible.

More information to come.

Re: Software Change Coming

Well, considering I'm installing the stuff ....

:p

The cut-off date will be almost immediately: I need time to actually do it. Provided there aren't too many posts to xfer, I may be able to do this manually.

Pete,

It is in your capable hands.

Ed

pete said:
Well, considering I'm installing the stuff ....

:p

The cut-off date will be almost immediately: I need time to actually do it. Provided there aren't too many posts to xfer, I may be able to do this manually.

so does that mean today, tomorrow and the weekend ??

Ed Svoboda said:
Pete,

It is in your capable hands.

Ed
Bwahahahahahahaha!!!11111one

Er. OK.

@Steve: I've been working on it whenever I have a chance. I can't give you an official, "It'll be ready by" answer. I've only been testing the stuff to see if I could make it work, as Ed said he had some problems with the converters.

pete said:
@Steve: I've been working on it whenever I have a chance. I can't give you an official, "It'll be ready by" answer. I've only been testing the stuff to see if I could make it work, as Ed said he had some problems with the converters.

If you need help or a beta tester, just honk.
I'm good at HTML and CSS. I'm bad at sight reading, though.

In any case - good luck, and much success.

May The Bytes Be With You.

Known issues:

* Past posts that contained words that had accent marks have random replacement characters (e.g., "Lor?e" instead of "Loree"). If you see one, be so kind as to post it here. I'll do a global search and replace.

* There are some posts that are by "0" or have a post year of 1969. These were redirects. If you find one, post the link and I'll take care of it.

* Some of the smileys didn't transfer. If you find a post with orphan smiley code (e.g., ":smiley:"), please post a link to that post.

And ... that's all the problems I know of. Oh. Remember that your profile picture and avatar picture are two different things :).

Last edited by a moderator:
vBulletin 3.7.1 PL1 Update

On 06-09-08, we went offline for approximately 1/2 hour at 8:00pm to 8:30pm Arizona Standard time for the vBulletin 3.7.1 PL1 Update.

I have backups of all the 3.70 stuff, just in case.

NOTE: Most of the fancy themes were not compatible with this new version, so they were removed. Sorry, folks.

Please post here if you see any problems. Thanks much.

vBulletin 3.72 Update

Will be installed later today. I'm going to do some quickie backups at this moment.

You're welcome. I wanted to get it done before my "vacation" starting next week. I'm not going anywhere, but I'm starting to check off chores ....

vBulletin 3.8.0 Upgrade

Is finished. Please report any problems you see in this thread.

Thanks!

vBulletin 3.8.3 upgrade completed. This is allegedly the last update before 4.0 is released in approximately 6 months.

Please report here if you have any problems or see something really unusual.

vBulletin 4.0 is supposed to be released in approximately a week.

1. I plan on waiting at least a week after it's available before I install it, just to see if anyone else has had issues.
2. The upgrade will probably take a lot longer than the incremental updates I've done, so that means I'd be doing it on a weekend and the Forum will be down a bit longer than for a normal update.

More information when I get the software!

vBulletin 4.0 is now available. However, I think I'll wait until they come out with 4.0.1 on Jan. 7th.

It's got a bunch of shiny new features. I like it. You can see it in action at http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum.php

3.8.4 pl2 was released a few days ago and I've installed it, here. There were various warnings about, "Install this or the hackers will get you", so I did.

We're still planning on the vBulletin 4 upgrade in January.

FWIW, it didn't recognize me when I entered the site. Had to log in again. Now what was that password? Too many passwords, so little time . . . DAVE

Back
Top Bottom