Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

The Upgrade Thread

Interesting. I've visited this site twice in the past hour and a half. Had to re-log-in both times.

You got some 'splainin' to do, Pete.

It did it again to me (requiring a new sign-in). THEN, when I try to back off the site, all I get is a window asking me if I want to send some sort of error message. I have to completely shutdown SAFARI to leave the Woodwind Forum. DAVE

> all I get is a window asking me if I want to send some sort of error message

Hmm. I use FF almost exclusively and haven't had any problems. Can someone screenshot it so I can see the error?

Thingy #2:

According to vBulletin, they did change some portion of the code used for the Cookie to keep you logged in. You may have to log off, clear your cookies and then log back in -- and re-check the "remember me" box (if you desire). This has been reported as a "problem" to vBulletin (see this).

I checked the vBulletin option page for how we set the Cookies (timeouts, etc.) and I don't see any change from the last version.

However, I'm interested in seeing error messages. I also haven't tested Safari: Safari really doesn't play well on PCs and I haven't been to work to check on my Mac.

I did see that there's now an area for IE7 compatibility (on a different properties page) and that's checked.

I never got an error message, but my normal link here led me to the login page. When I logged in I got the "Click here if your browser does not..." which led me back to the login page and an eternal loop. Didn't matter if I let the browser take me or clicked the link.

FF 3.5.6

It wasn't actually an "error" page. When I re-read it (got it again, of course), it said that Safari had to send a form and asked if I wanted to send a form (whatever THAT meant). I couldn't find a way to copy and send it to you.

No matter, though - I cleared all my cookies and this morning when I opened the site, it went right to my page. DAVE

I never got an error message, but my normal link here led me to the login page. When I logged in I got the "Click here if your browser does not..." which led me back to the login page and an eternal loop. Didn't matter if I let the browser take me or clicked the link.

FF 3.5.6
That definitely sounds like a cookie problem. I'd encourage you to delete your woodwindforum.com cookie and try again.

That definitely sounds like a cookie problem. I'd encourage you to delete your woodwindforum.com cookie and try again.
That is what I did to get logged in and post.

The classics still seem to work...

I run Chrome on my laptop, and it's doing it here too. It's driving me nuts. Do you have advice on how to clear cookies on Chrome? I can't find it right now.

Actually, never mind, I just found it... If anyone's looking for it, here's how you can do it:

1. Click your Customize & Control Google Chrome Button... It's the Crescent Wrench.

2. Select & click options

3. When the Options box pops up, click on the Under The Hood tab

4. Scroll down under Privacy to where you see the Show Cookies button. Click it.

5. Scroll down until you see the Woodwind Forum cookie(s) and click the Remove button. Each Forum cookie needs to be removed individually.

So the best solution to a technical problem is to toss your cookies?
I've found barfing on my users is an excellent way of getting them to refrain from asking stupid questions.

[true]
In real life, I'm a computer tech.

I've had more than one (l)user try to prevent me from going to the restroom. I generally say something like, "I need to go potty. I don't need your help, but if you don't move, I will be tinkling on your shoes."

I've also had users follow me into the restroom to ask me questions. This is at least as annoying, if not more so.

About four years ago, I had double pneumonia, which resulted in seven broken ribs, a partially collapsed lung, an ulcer and other peripheral medical problems. On my FIRST DAY back at work, I was confronted by a $luser who asked me why I didn't complete a task for her, even after she called several times -- and she was very ... persistent about it, following me all over a building where I was working on a task that my boss told me I had to do. I put down my sippy cup. Blew my nose into a tissue and said, "First, I've been fairly sick, so I haven't been in the office. Second, did you bother calling in a ticket?" The answer was, of course, "no".
[/true]

Now my opening page does not clear the recent posts once I've looked at them. When I return later, the same posts are hi-lighted as if I have not yet seen them. DAVE

Yah. I see that, too.

I changed the cookie time out from an unreasonable number to a reasonable one. See if that makes a difference.

Hmm. No, it didn't.

Allegedly, the vBulletin upgrade was just ONE file. I'll see if I can replace that.

Back
Top Bottom