Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

University saxofones???

Hi there.

Nope, I've never heard of the brand, or ever seen one either.

Based on the one picture, I would say the construction of the horn clearly looks like it's a student-model. The price would seem to back that as well. (Taking the higher of the 2 prices, 4900 krona, would make it approximately $810 US.)

I am guessing, and this is only a guess, that this is most likely a stencil horn, meaning another company made it, and then stamped it with the name "University".

The only thing that looks vaguely, and I do mean vaguely familiar, is the key guards. They resemble those on my B&S Medusa. But that doesn't mean much, since keyguards are often copied.

Are you in Sweden? When is the seller back from their vacation? Perhaps they will be more help in providing some answers.

If you want, you could tell us a bit more about what you're looking for in a bari, and if this horn isn't what you're looking for, perhaps we can help refine your search. Things like: is bari your main horn? A double? Are you looking for a 2nd bari? Do you prefer a low A or low Bb model? Are you looking for a student, intermediate, or pro level horn? You know, that kind of stuff...

It's really tough to get a bari that plays well on the cheap. Mostly, if you're gonna buy cheap, you really need to try the instrument first. I know that isn't the answer you're looking for. Sometimes you can find a great deal from a sympathetic music director, repair facility or school.

The only way to get a decent bari on the cheap is to settle for a low B flat horn. There are a lot of really nice low B flats out there and a number of players prefer them over low A's.

That looks like a Weltklang. B&S is actually close enough: Weltlkang became B&S.

I'd think that if this horn has the rather unusual low A key on the G# cluster, I'm 100% right. (Or, if you speak German, you can always contact the RK company at keilwerth.de.)

The Weltklang baris were made by Richard Keilwerth, Julius' brother.

4900kr = $810. That's not bad, even if it needs an overhaul.

Serial number may be on or near a joint, under a key or even in the neck.

thank you everybody for your kind advices... and wise...

it´s actually quite similar to the weltklang, maybe some kind of stencil... I don´t know, I´ve mailed weltklang but didn´t have any answer yet.

Helen: I don´t know exactly what I´m looking for in a bari, I´m just looking for one... in my studio dayjob it´s important to own instruments... even if they´re not so good...
if someone like the idea that i record or play with a certain instrument, I can always hire/ask friends if I feel I can´t have a good take.

my problem in beeing a producer is that I have to own many instruments, not only woodwinds.

What ever happened with the horn Zagor?

Did you get a hold of the seller? Did you bid on the horn?

Please let us know. I'm always curious about how these things turn out. So often we never find out.

well, I wanted to see more pictures and I wanted to know much more about the shipping and mouthpiece (he lives quite long from stockholm) and this old man (I guess...) got mad.

there were no gigbag or case, no mouthpiece: I can still buy this horn for 3900 swedish crowns (600 usd), but I got bad feelings... he wanted to ship the instrument "in a box with newspaper and old clothes, it will work, kid"...
I´ll wait for a better one...

there were no gigbag or case, no mouthpiece: I can still buy this horn for 3900 swedish crowns (600 usd), but I got bad feelings... he wanted to ship the instrument "in a box with newspaper and old clothes, it will work, kid"...
I´ll wait for a better one...
Good decision. Something else will come along.

Back
Top Bottom