Warm Up Book to Improve Tone and faster playing?

I have been playing alto sax for almost 1 year. I was having weekly tuition and studied for a grade 2 exam (which I passed a few weeks ago).

My teacher and I are taking a break for the summer and I had a week without the sax, last week while away from home. I'm losing the pratice structure I had with the lessons, but especially in relation to building my tone and moving my fingers faster. In some ways, it's given me a chance to try and re-evaluate what I was doing in that regard - and I think I need to re-double my efforts.

Now, I know that there are dozens of books available that could help one or both of these, and I have several of them. These include "Daily Warm Up Exercises for Saxophone" by Jackie Mclean. I'd love to get more into this book (and more out of it) but, as with other books of this type, with very little instructional material (in terms of how to use it) I'm lost.

The only page that makes any sense to me are the long tone warm up exercises on page 8. After that, I'm lost. I can see the headings (such as "major scales", minor scales, major chords etc) but even though I can read music (to some extent) I have no idea what I'm playing, how I should be playing it or why? As a teacher myself, I know that students like some basic guidance as to what they do with the material, and to give them something to work towards, even if it's just "play this exerercise twice, a day, starting at 60 beats and working up to 120.

So, what I'm asking is is there a book (or a website or whatever) out there that will offer a series of guided exercises that are good for an improving beginner and which will help to improve tone and finger speeds.

Or do I have it already and I just need to know what to do with it?

Stephen

I've not seen the book you mentioned before Stephen. I did check through the table of contents and through the sample pages provided on Amazon, and have a sense of what it's about though. It's pretty similar to many sax books that I have accumulated over the years.

Since I don't know how or what your sax instructor is teaching you, or in what order you're progressing in your studies in, I can't really comment on what you're learning, but I can offer up a bit of assistance that might help you over the summer. This is from the material that I have developed over the years for my own students. You can find the info on the Student Resources page of my website.

Many of these these things won't apply to you, but one that might be useful is Practice Chart that I put together for my students. You can use it, or just develop your own based on its design. The key point would be the same though, as it it says on the bottom of my chart: The idea is to work at improving your speed and accuracy.

So for example--and remember, I don't know exactly what your book contains since I don't have a copy of it, so I'm going only by the table of contents--I would say start on the Major Scales page and find a metronome speed that you can play it 100% correctly at. Then, little by little increase the speed of the metronome making sure you don't go to the next speed, until you are 100% accurate and comfortable playing at the speed you're currently at. In other words, don't go to 120, if you're barely able to play it, or are still getting errors at 110. Keep building your speeds until you're fluid and error-free and lightning fast.

Then, once you've mastered the major scales (say at 120), do the major chords. After that the minor scales, then the minor chords. Each of these should be fluid and error-free.

Now, I'm just going to throw this out here: I notice that this book covers the full range of the horn. Have you learned all the fingerings for your sax yet? Can you play from low Bb (Bb1) to high F (F3) without difficulties, or are you still struggling with producing the notes? This might be more challenging for some newer players than others.

As for your question:
So, what I'm asking is is there a book .... out there that will offer a series of guided exercises that are good for an improving beginner and which will help to improve tone and finger speeds.

Or do I have it already and I just need to know what to do with it?

Yes, there are books out there that will offer good exercises for a player to improve his/her tone and finger speed. Some are better than the one you currently have. That said, I don't know of too many (any?) that are guided though. Most assume that you are working with a teacher, or know how to develop your own practice routine.

I always tell my students the same thing most of my instructors taught me: My job as a sax instructor is as much to teach you how to practice, as it is what to practice.

We all have our favorite books. I glommed on to the Rubank Advanced Method for Saxophone I in high school. What drew me to the book was how lyrical the arpeggios are. It's the time in my life when I actually started practicing in earnest with the idea I might become a band teacher. When I started up again after a 28 year break, I discovered something that is very common now-a-daze in high schools, the Aebersold Maiden Voyage. Here was the first introduction to jazz performance, reading changes, and improvising. But for a new student, it gives you the opportunity to play against a solid rhythm section. YMMV.

First of all, thank you very much for the link to your website, Helen. It looks very interesting. I have printed off the Technique Practice Chart, and the Pivot around middle C exercise for now.

Since I don't know how or what your sax instructor is teaching you, or in what order you're progressing in your studies in, I can't really comment on what you're learning, but I can offer up a bit of assistance that might help you over the summer.

I got my LCM (London College of music) grade 2 exam a few weeks ago and my teacher is confident we can aim for grade 4 in th winter. I'm learning lots of scales (including harmonic minors and melodic minors). I'm also practising "Mac the Knife" which cycles through 6 major keys - G, Ab, A, Bb, B and C (in the upper register). Most of those keys will come up - or could do - in the G4 exam.

I'm also practicing the chords in those keys and a few others - including the one learned for grades 1 and 2: C, D, F, G, E (all major) C Pentatonic, F penatonic, A minor, D harmonic minor and E harmonic Minor. I also know blues scales in D, C and A.

Now, I'm just going to throw this out here: I notice that this book covers the full range of the horn. Have you learned all the fingerings for your sax yet? Can you play from low Bb (Bb1) to high F (F3) without difficulties, or are you still struggling with producing the notes? This might be more challenging for some newer players than others.

I know all the basic fingering from low Bb to high F# and can play up the horn from low Bb to F# (3), chromatically. I know 4 fingerings for Bb (side, 1 and 1, 1 and 2, and Bis Bb). My low notes are probably better than the higher ones, but I have to say that I can get high Eb out from "cold" all of the time, and high E and F some of the time.

I usually still have to work up to high F# (and sometimes high F). I play those notes "long" as often as possible and I have noticed an improvement in the tone in recent weeks. They are not as thin as they used to be. top A (2), B (3) and C (3) are now being played without too much strain and what I consider to be a fairly round tone.

We all have our favorite books. I glommed on to the Rubank Advanced Method for Saxophone I in high school. What drew me to the book was how lyrical the arpeggios are. It's the time in my life when I actually started practicing in earnest with the idea I might become a band teacher. When I started up again after a 28 year break, I discovered something that is very common now-a-daze in high schools, the Aebersold Maiden Voyage. Here was the first introduction to jazz performance, reading changes, and improvising. But for a new student, it gives you the opportunity to play against a solid rhythm section. YMMV.

Thanks very much for this. I have the Aebersold "Maiden Voyage" and we have used it with the backing tracking for "Watermelon Man" to learn some improv. I'm still faily slow with this, and actually have used the John O'Neill book more to work on improv. I have also found the exercises really useful and used "A Song for Sophie" (about 2/3rds of the way into the book) as one of the "test pieces" for the G2 exam.

I saw a long post somewhere else (not sure where now) in which the OP said he finally got his head around using "Maiden Voyage" in a way that really worked for him. He talked about it "clicking" for him. I'm still at the "dull thud" stage with it. :)

I've heard a lot about the Rubank book, but I've never seen it. I may have to invest in it, to be sure it's NOT for me! :)

First of all, thank you very much for the link to your website, Helen. It looks very interesting. I have printed off the Technique Practice Chart, and the Pivot around middle C exercise for now.

Actually, that is the only exercise I ever do now for long tones. It is really the only exercise anyone has to do for long tones. Doing it each time you practice is a great way to warm up, and will improve your tuning and your tone. Promise!

BTW, I realize my chicken scratch is a bit difficult to read in parts, so in case you're unsure of any of the notes, they move in semi-tones every other bar. Make sense?

I would add a +1 to the Rubank Advanced Method book that Gandalfe mentioned. It is a very good method book. But it is just another similar book to what you already have.

Make sure you have at least 1 with a CD that you can play along with--and not just bang your head against a wall to--to include in your daily playing as well. I find the Hal Leonard Jazz play-along series is good, but there are lots of choices, and there are likely others on your side of the pond that we don't have here as well.

BTW, I realize my chicken scratch is a bit difficult to read in parts, so in case you're unsure of any of the notes, they move in semi-tones every other bar. Make sense?

It looks fine to me - the only ones I'm concerned about are in the last 6 bars (measures):

C, B l C, C# l C, D l C, A l C D# ll
C, Ab l C, E ll C, G l C F ll C, F# ll
C, F l C, G l C, E l C, G#2 l C Eb l C, A2 ll
C, F l C, Db(3) l C, Db l C, D(3) l C, C(1) l C, E(3)

I would add a +1 to the Rubank Advanced Method book that Gandalfe mentioned. It is a very good method book. But it is just another similar book to what you already have.

I've just had a look at this on Amazon and the reviews put me off a bit, as they suggest that it may be better to work with a teacher. I already have the full PDF of Paul De Ville's "Universal Method" for saxophone, so I passed on it.

But, I have just ordered: 25 Daily Exercises for Saxophone by H Klose I'd be interested to knw if others have this one?

Make sure you have at least 1 with a CD that you can play along with--and not just bang your head against a wall to--to include in your daily playing as well. I find the Hal Leonard Jazz play-along series is good, but there are lots of choices, and there are likely others on your side of the pond that we don't have here as well.

I have the Hal Leonard "Ballads for Saxophone" play along, and there are lots in the O'Neill Book and also Nick Beston's "Improvising Blues Saxophone". I really like this book, but it starts off a slightly more advanced level than the O'Neill book. I find that I need to get further into O'Neill before I can start on some of the Beston tunes.

Thanks again, and I hope some of my selections are of interest to others, too.

Mmmm... Maybe we're having a wee bit of a communication problem. Let me try it this way instead. I've written out the notes as they appear in my chicken scratch. ;) Does this help?

Note that every pair starts on C2.

C2,B2|C,C#2|| C,Bb2|C,D2|| C,A1|C,D#2||

C,Ab1|C,E2|| C,G1|C,F2|| C,F#1|C,F#2||

C,F1|C,G2|| C,E1|C,G#2|| C,Eb1|C,A2||

C,D1|C,Bb3|| C,Db1|C,B3|| C2,C1|C2,C3

I was going to suggest the Universal Saxophone Method. It is a book that will last you a lifetime of playing. Really, it will. Figuring out how to approach it logically though is a challenge. I have been tempted to put something together, but then I thought someone already had. I can't find it though, and I suspect the person gave it, and perhaps never finished the work. Mmm... I'll have to look more carefully for it.

The Klose book is a classic, and it too will be extremely good for building technique.

Take your time. You're off to a great start, and you've got the classics in your music library already. Remember though that learning the sax is not a sprint, it is an endurance race. Learning to play the saxophone takes a lifetime. According to Sonny Rollins, he's still learning. :cool:

Mmmm... Maybe we're having a wee bit of a communication problem. Let me try it this way instead. I've written out the notes as they appear in my chicken scratch. ;) Does this help?

Not sure what happened there. I'm reading the hand written transcription OK, as per your typed version (and did so the first time). I somehow managed to write it down wrong!

I was going to suggest the Universal Saxophone Method. It is a book that will last you a lifetime of playing. Really, it will. Figuring out how to approach it logically though is a challenge. I have been tempted to put something together, but then I thought someone already had. I can't find it though, and I suspect the person gave it, and perhaps never finished the work. Mmm... I'll have to look more carefully for it.

This is really the nub of my post. I think that beginners like me would really benefit from someone taking these important practice charts apart and annotating them in such as way that we get the most bebiefit from them and the practice itself. And, in order that they make the most sense - and the important learning doesn't get lost or is overlooked. Perhaps, something like:

To improve the tone of your high octave notes: Play exercises 66 to 80 3 times a day, holding each note for 4 beats.

To Increase the speed of Bb fingering: Play the following exercises in this order.......Only move onto the next exercise when you can freely play the previous one. Use Bis Bb for exercise 1 and side Bb for exercise 2, and then reverse.

I'm sure this wouldn't make sense musically, but it's the gist of something that I think could prove very useful to beginners (and maybe even lucractive for the author).

The NEW Universal Saxophone Method
For the 21st Century Saxophonist
Fully annotated and updated with practice tips and techniques

Take your time. You're off to a great start, and you've got the classics in your music library already. Remember though that learning the sax is not a sprint, it is an endurance race. Learning to play the saxophone takes a lifetime.

Thank you very much - that's very useful, if slightly depressing. The majority of my lifetime is over.

According to Sonny Rollins, he's still learning. :cool:

Yeah, right. :)

If you really want depressing, get a copy of Rascher's 24 Intermezzi. That will humble almost any player very quickly. While I don't want to scrounge for my copy ATM, Sheet Music Plus also sells his 158 Saxophone Exercises. Here's a sample from the website:

3165543_02.jpg

The first thing is that you think, "Eighth notes? That's not bad. I can play this pretty darn fast ...." Then you try to wrap your mind around going from Ab to C to E. Aaaaaiiiiiiggggghhhhhhh. And you also have to remember that these are the easy exercises: there aren't any double-sharps in the key signature.

Anyhow, I've had the passing thought of going through some of the most popular method books and trying to synthesize them into one massive book, as you wish for in your last post. It'd be nice to see all the different approaches that take you to the same place all together.

The accidental only on the note throws me a bit. Not even a bar line...

If you really want depressing, get a copy of Rascher's 24 Intermezzi. That will humble almost any player very quickly. While I don't want to scrounge for my copy ATM, Sheet Music Plus also sells his 158 Saxophone Exercises. Here's a sample from the website:

View attachment 2043

I was struck by the thought that if this page was cropped to just above exercise 35 and enlarged, it would make a great poster - or even wallpaper. Great patterns! As for actually playing it...maybe not. :)

Last edited:
I have just received my copy of 25 Daily Exercises for Saxophone by H Klose (as I linked above) from Amazon.co.uk

I haven't tried it yet, and I'm sure it will be useful. However, I have immediately submitted a review of it for Amazon (not published yet). I thought you might like to see it....

There are absolutely no guidelines on how to get the best from this set of exercises, included in the book. As a beginner on the saxophone (but also a teacher of adults on another subject), I think it's relevant to explain what is being taught, and why.

Plus, some guidance along the lines of how often or how fast the exercises should be played would also be of benefit - and to avoid the student from getting into bad habits or simply not exercising "correctly", all of which could lead to disinterest.

I have to say I was also very unhappy, to find that this book is available as a free (albeit probably illegal) PDF download, with a simple Google search.

Plus, some guidance along the lines of how often or how fast the exercises should be played would also be of benefit -

I guess there's a clue in the title as to how often. "25 DailyExercises for Saxophone".

There are tempo indications in most cases but just "allegro" or whatever. My metronome is marked like this.

Allegro 120 - 168
Presto 168 - 208
Moderato 108 - 120
Andante 76 - 108
Adagio 66 - 76
Larghetto 60 - 66
Largo 40 - 60

That's a starting point at least.

In his clarinet book Klose states that 4 hours practicing a day should be sufficient. To include 1 hour each of:

finger exercises,
scales and arpeggios,
studies for articulation and dynamics,
playing the best works for the clarinet.

I guess there's a clue in the title as to how often. "25 Daily Exercises for Saxophone".

Hmmm. That doesn't explain how many times each exercise should be played a day. With my "concrete thinking" it could also mean...25 exercises, to be played each day. Not necessarily ALL of them each day.

But, with what you said later about 4 hours practice per day (I WISH) then, yes it does look as though all 25 should be played each day. (I WISH...again). Had Herr Klose only have deemed to include that information in the Saxophone book too, it would be clearer.

There are tempo indications in most cases but just "allegro" or whatever.

Yes, I found them and thank you also for the metronome indications, that was very helpful. Some of them are bit beyond me yet but I'll try and work up to them.

I appreciate
the help. :)

Stephen, IIRC you've been playing for a short while. The Klose book is not intended for beginners, it is for a life-time of study. Sure, the key signatures for the pieces are easy--I think most, if not all of them, are in C--but that's only part of it.

The Klose book is only a part of the material you need to become a polished player. It helps you develop your technique.

No, don't spend 4 hours a day on the exercises. Start with page 1. Play those 2 short ones--again IIRC--are the easy ones. Get them under your fingers at the recommended speed... BUT... Make sure you've got the articulation, phrasing, and execution down perfectly before moving on to # 3 in the book.

Again, work on articulation, phrasing, execuation, and remember this very important point: It's very easy when working on one's technique, to forget about one's tone. Playing fast is maybe impressive, but if your tone goes to hell while doing it, that is not so impressive.

So the hardest part of working on the Klose book is not only getting the articulation, phrasing, execution, and working through the book to get the exercises up to the written speed--which BTW might take you years to do--(there are a number of the exercises that I would have to work at quite a while before I could do them flawlessly at the speed indicated, and I've been playing 30 years), the hardest part is doing all those things and maintaining a good, solid, tone.

Once you have mastered everything flawlessly, going back over the materials throughout your lifetime keeps your skills sharp. That is how I was taught the book should be used, and is the way I still use it today. FWIW, my copy is the one I got in around 1980.

Stephen, IIRC you've been playing for a short while.

1 year at the end of this month - averaging 2 hours practice a day, give or take a couple of weeks.

The Klose book is not intended for beginners, it is for a life-time of study. Sure, the key signatures for the pieces are easy--I think most, if not all of them, are in C--but that's only part of it.

They are mostly in C with accidentals. #8 is in F major and #9, #20 and #25 are in G major.

The Klose book is only a part of the material you need to become a polished player. It helps you develop your technique.

It's now number 17 in my growing collection, including Kindle versions and e-books and a couple of PDF's.

No, don't spend 4 hours a day on the exercises. Start with page 1. Play those 2 short ones--again IIRC--are the easy ones. Get them under your fingers at the recommended speed... BUT... Make sure you've got the articulation, phrasing, and execution down perfectly before moving on to # 3 in the book.

I've just done 90 mins or so on #1 and #2. There is no recommended speed for those exercises, this starts with #4 (Allegro non troppo - "not too fast", in my mind).

Again, work on articulation, phrasing, execution, and remember this very important point: It's very easy when working on one's technique, to forget about one's tone. Playing fast is maybe impressive, but if your tone goes to hell while doing it, that is not so impressive.

That's the issue for me with this book, as I was looking for something to help with tone as well as fingering, and it's not really here. So, I've been using your C pivot exercise which is brilliant.

I have already spotted the phrasings (often slurred with some staccato notes) and I've been careful to try and include that in the playing. I'm keeping the speed up around 110 - 115 at the moment (I think).

Once you have mastered everything flawlessly, going back over the materials throughout your lifetime keeps your skills sharp. That is how I was taught the book should be used, and is the way I still use it today. FWIW, my copy is the one I got in around 1980.

Thanks again for the excellent support Helen. I feel I'm getting a lot from it.

Back
Top Bottom