Weird spring

I found this weird spring on the C# key. The original spring is broken flush with the post and stuck. Although it would usually be easier to remove it and put a new spring, I guess whoever did it could make this spring but not remove the old one. It's actually very smart and accurate to fit exactly.

Maybe a bit hard to see in the photo, the springs uses the key hinge as a pivot, wraps around the C# key post for support and hooks on the C# lever linkage rod.

8390858609_a13a2f5ee6_b.jpg

8486045740_1319b2fe84_b.jpg

In the shop I used to work in we called something like this a "Warsaw Repair" which is the politically correct way of saying another common expression. Basically what they did was to use a water key spring design for a saxophone key. I imagine this would work much better on keys that are springed closed as opposed to keys that are springed open. As a former band director I am well versed in fixing instruments with whatever you have on hand to get by until you can take it to the repair shop. It is amazing what one can do with chewing gum, twist ties, and a cigarette lighter---not to mention drum sticks of various shapes and sizes.

Oh, THAT kind of Spring – what with 10 below zero (-35 windchill), car stuck in a snow drift in my driveway, and a winter storm ready to drop another five inches or so on us I thought that maybe folks somewhere other than Minnesota might be complaining too.

Reminds me of that silly joke of an American and a German sitting on a park bench. The American inhales deeply then says "aah, spring in the air!", to which the German replies "why should I?"

Okay, it is a silly joke.

Oh, THAT kind of Spring – what with 10 below zero (-35 windchill), car stuck in a snow drift in my driveway, and a winter storm ready to drop another five inches or so on us I thought that maybe folks somewhere other than Minnesota might be complaining too.
10 below zero? C'mon. That's early spring up there.

Back
Top Bottom