What is the significance of your Avatar?

I found a new Avatar - of my favorite Bari player - from kid's book author Peter Brighouse.
It's "Mungo Jerry Can ". I think he's captured Jeru's stance. Also, the Bari neck is a longer Conn - like neck. Not many other similarities that I can see though.

Last edited:
I used to have a picture of me playing with my rock band The Houndz, but I've lost about 65 pounds since then, so I decided to take it down. Found the pic of the dog playing sax on the web and decided I liked it. The Houndz had a 20 year run, but alas, are no more since 2012.

Mine was a gift from Kim Pelletier from at Sax-on-the-Web, when we were both administrators/moderators there.

For those of us (me) who never heard of Mungo Jerry -- as in, the band -- before watching Avengers: Endgame, here's a Wikipedia entry.

Yeah Pete I saw the Mungo Jerry Band, but I think the artist/ was referencing jazz greats, such as the Basie & Mingus Cats:

Attachments

• 496a5fbccb9dc6d7acf406d16efff901(1).jpg
    496a5fbccb9dc6d7acf406d16efff901(1).jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 140
  • 1fd43828fb9572cfe387263d4e92f853.jpg
    1fd43828fb9572cfe387263d4e92f853.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 133
Peter Brighouse may have been referencing T.S. Eliot (or referencing Mungo Jerry, who referenced Eliot!).

In his poem collection, 'Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats' one of the poems is called 'Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer'

It is that poem which inspired the band to call themselves Mungo Jerry

Of course the poem collection also inspired Andrew Lloyd Webber's musical 'Cats'

My avatar reflects my passion for Couesnon instruments.

Chris

I'm just me playing on a gig we had for 12 years running, one day a week, until COVID came along and screwed things up. It was mid-day, at a marina, that used to be the guard house for the US Navy SEALS when they were born here.

I'm not complaining, 12 years was a great run, and if they need help getting back on their feet again, we'll do what we can to help.

Now my name is a different matter. Before these forums, we communicated on the Usenet newsgroups. When I joined alt.saxophone there was already a Bob Norton, a Robert Norton and a Bobby Norton. So I adopted the name my kid sister's business partner always called me, "Notes" and from that day on I've been "Notes Norton" on the Internet.

Notes

My avatar is a photo I took of a Hammerschmidt tenor's pinkie cluster, which I then Photoshopped to get just the exact effects I was looking for. It is one of a series of pinkie cluster shots I took about a decade ago.

Mine is (rather unsurprisingly, given my username.) a Buescher logo I took from a catalog I found online several years ago!
If I was any good at photography I'd probably have replaced it with a nice photo of one of my two TTs. (probably the currently unplayable alto, as it's silver plated, which looks nicer to me.)

Back
Top Bottom