Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

what's the difference between ...

Steve

Clarinet CE/Moderator
Staff member
CE/Moderator
When I click on (a) Home icon in the top right, then New posts in the horizontal menu below it
I get a different list then the (b) vertical listing on the right hand side of "New Posts".

(c) New Activity seems to be exactly like (b)
Is (a) based on posts that are not yours ?

But if you click on the (b) New posts header it takes you to the (d) New Post listings which does not contain the (b) listings.

does that make any sense or should I add pics ?

I don't have a "New Activity" button or link. Are you referring to the "view all recent posts" link when you hit "New Posts" and there aren't any or the "recent activity" link in a user's profile? Can you make a screenshot?

My provisional answer on Home > New Posts is that it shows all posts from the last time you logged in. Why I say "provisional" is because I don't remember if it included my posts from the last time I logged in. I need someone to post after I log out :).

Home > New Posts > View All Recent Posts shows all posts from the past month, including your own.

The "New Posts" link listed in the forum header, i.e.
2017-01-22_0855.png

... and the one in the sidebar, i.e.
2017-01-22_0856.png

... have exactly the same link

http://www.woodwindforum.com/forum/index.php?find-new/posts

so they're showing the same thing. However, the full "New Posts" widget in the sidebar looks like it's showing posts from -- I think -- the past 24 hours from everyone but you. It might be more than 24hrs, but I don't remember how many posts we had when I logged in yesterday.

I don't have a "New Activity" button or link. Are you referring to the "view all recent posts" link when you hit "New Posts" and there aren't any or the "recent activity" link in a user's profile? Can you make a screenshot?

My provisional answer on Home > New Posts is that it shows all posts from the last time you logged in. Why I say "provisional" is because I don't remember if it included my posts from the last time I logged in. I need someone to post after I log out :).

Home > New Posts > View All Recent Posts shows all posts from the past month, including your own.

The "New Posts" link listed in the forum header, i.e.

... and the one in the sidebar, i.e.

... have exactly the same link

http://www.woodwindforum.com/forum/index.php?find-new/posts,

so they're showing the same thing. However, the full "New Posts" widget in the sidebar looks like it's showing posts from -- I think -- the past 24 hours from everyone but you. It might be ore than 24hrs, but I don't remember how many posts we had when I logged in yesterday.
The widget on the right does show the most recent posts, including my own.
wwf-newPostSideBar.jpg

But once you click on "New post" header it seems to provide a list of "new posts" that exclude yourself.
WWF-NewPostsMain.jpg

I can't find an easy way to Recent Activity, which is similar to the New Posts Sidebar. I just noticed it in one of the screens.
edit: If you click on the "New Profile posts" Button next to the "New Posts" "New Profile Posts" "New Media" then the "Recent Activity" is a menu option as shown in the above image.
WWF-RecentActivity2.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting. When I clicked on these (the first three below were there this morning) after using New Posts on the horizontal bar, it didn't take me to the newest post, but rather to the first post in the thread. The others (Soft Pads, Clarinet Song Suggestions, B&H Bass Clarinet, and Low Price on Van Doren Masters) did take me to the newest posts. My thought is that the threads below were imported from the old forum (look at the start dates) and behave differently than threads that were initiated in Xenforo.

index.php

Going back to Steve's question on "New Activity." That's actually "Recent Activity." I looked at the chain of how you got there. The direct link is http://www.woodwindforum.com/forum/index.php?recent-activity. I can add that link to the menu bar - well, after my meds clear a little - or you can just bookmark it. (You can actually bookmark most of the forum's links, even New Posts.) Also, that's a cool feature that I didn't know was there, so thanks, dude!

I think the bottom line is, "What's best for our users?" The obvious answer is "consistency." However, I can see some advantage in having one link that's JUST new posts and another that's ALL the forum activity. I don't know if I can change all the "new" links. I'd have to research that. Also, because that menu bar is now getting a tad long, I'd like to see if I can do drop-down menus or something similar.

Responding to saxhound's observation, I can definitely see some things that went a little wonky with going from vBulletin to Xenforo. However, if I go to "Recent Posts" (I don't have any in "New Posts," so I can't check), I can choose this thread's title ("what's the difference between ...") and I'll get the first post in the thread. If I click on the date/time under the username in the far right column -- saxhound, "Today at 10:53 am" -- I get the most recent post from you. That also works on the couple threads I tested that I know were on the vBulletin forum.

2017-01-22_1627.png

Personally, I just click on the thread title (e.g. "what's the difference between ...") because I try to at least look at EVERY thread that's open, then I scroll down to the new post(s). I've done that for years, here. I can, however, see an advantage to automatically going to the first unread post.

Back
Top Bottom