Where To Play?

Helen

Content Expert Saxophones
Staff member
Administrator
OK, so you came up with the money, and you bought yourself the bass saxophone that you've always wanted. Now where do you you actually get to play it? .... Other than in the privacy of your own home that is...

Many bass players are faced with that exact same dilemma. When I first bought my bass, I was the bari player in a saxophone quintet, so that gave me a place to express my fondness for the lower end of the sound spectrum. Unfortunately that quintet folded, so I was left with no place to play the horn that had traveled on the seat next to me all the way from New Orleans. Now what? I phoned the local community band. I was told in no uncertain terms they didn't want a behemoth (the person I spoke with actually used that term!) like that in the band. Besides, they had no music for me to play anyway, since their scores were all more recent than my horn, the person went on to say proudly. Yeah, whatever...Rude people are everywhere.

A couple months after that rather rude exchange with the community band guy, an opportunity presented itself. I was asked to join a Latin band fronted by a bass guitar player who was quite famous in his home country of El Salvador. I felt honored just to be asked to play with Cesar. I was blown away when he asked me to help him with the arrangements, and was open to listening to my ideas. On a lark, I suggested we try using my bass on a song, not really thinking that he would go for it. He did, and we decided to use the bass on an original arrangement of the traditional version of La Bamba...which was about to get very much more original. After only a couple of festival performances, the bass sax became the star of the show. It sat in its stand all night long, until I wheeled it over to play "its song".

The Latino community was very supportive of us, and we were their unofficial band, and the official entertainment at most Latino events in the province. The crowds knew us, knew our music, and came to know the sound of the horn extremely well. They loved it. They cheered whenever I rolled "the behemoth" underneath the microphone. They went nuts after the song was over. The horn become the icon of the band. It was very weird.

We even had a photo journalist show up at a noon time show in a local mall that was set up to promote the upcoming multi-cultural festival. The photo journalist waited patiently for nearly an hour until I played the bass. A full colour photo of me playing the bass appeared on the top half of the front page of the provincial paper a day later.

But alas...All good things...I moved from the east coast, back to BC. Here I have had a number gigging offers, mostly old time Dixieland, but by the time I crunch the numbers, it would cost me to play it in a band due to the travel to rehearsals and such. So for now, my poor bass is waiting patiently.

When my own jazz band does larger shows, I do take it with me occasionally. But for smaller venues I'm already playing S,A,T, & B, so the bass just adds to an already crowed stage. In the blues band I work in, there is just not enough room on most stages we play. We are doing some festivals this summer, so I might drag it out for that...that is if I get my chops for it back into shape...

So I guess what I'm thinking is that if you're a bass saxophone player, you pretty much have to create your own opportunities to play.

What do you guys think? Share some of your stories. I am interested in hearing what your experiences have been. Where have you, and are you currently playing your "behemoth"?

I've been lucky in the past few years to have some decent bass playing opportunities. The bass has gotten played in concerts with Dave Grusin and Vince Mendoza.

I'm playing Cabaret at the Stratford Festival this season, and the new scoring that's been done for this production uses bass sax - with a few nice juicy solos.

I have a standing agreement that when I finally get a Bass Sax that I will play it with the classical ensemble I play with. Last year we actually had a piece that had a bass sax part and the question came up about if I had one yet.

If you can find a group that plays a lot of music from the 20's you will find that they would love to have you and your bass sax join them.

I've loved bass sax ever since I was a teenager discovering original jazz. But after many years of soprano, clarinet, and alto, I've decided my voice is NOT bass lines.

However, I've still wanted one. Maybe three years ago, an older lady in my area (SoCal) gave up her bass sax playing and begged me to buy hers - a nice vintage Buescher TT.

She came down to $3500.00 and I KNOW I should've bought it if for no other reason than to make a profit on it. But alas, my negatives were higher than my positives for such an instrument.

One negative was the situation "Helen" describes - where to play it? I play in an organized trad-band now and know of others around town where a bass sax might fit in. Heck, the band I play in now used to feature an alto/bass sax player named Paul Woltz (and later, Robert Young from NoCal).

But even more negatively, where to store the thing? My wife made the final decision for me. No bass sax! I guess I don't regret passing on the TT bass, but still . . . DAVE

...Maybe three years ago, an older lady in my area (SoCal) gave up her bass sax playing and begged me to buy hers - a nice vintage Buescher TT.

She came down to $3500.00 and I KNOW I should've bought it if for no other reason than to make a profit on it. But alas, my negatives were higher than my positives for such an instrument....

OK Dave...I gotta' ask...WHAT WERE YOU THINKING :?: $3500 3 years ago for a bass. Even a crusted hulk would almost run you that... :eek:

Forget the resale, once you would have played it, you would have been hooked. However then you would have been sleeping in the dog house when your wife found the "little" beastie behind the couch. It wouldn't have seemed like a great deal then I suppose. :-(

BTW Dave, nice to see you here. We haven't "talked" for a while.

...I'm playing Cabaret at the Stratford Festival this season, and the new scoring that's been done for this production uses bass sax - with a few nice juicy solos.

That's great about the bass solos in Cabaret. Must be kinda' fun for you to honk on a bass again. Speaking of which, what kind of bass are you playing now a days Merlin?

That's great about the bass solos in Cabaret. Must be kinda' fun for you to honk on a bass again. Speaking of which, what kind of bass are you playing now a days Merlin?

It's a 97 year old Conn. Got a Buescher bari m/p I opened to .090" and a Legere #3 bari reed on it.

Yeah, I knew the price was right. And it wasn't like I was taking advantage of a daft senior citizen (like I am) - she started a lot higher than that and kept reducing the price just for me to buy it. But as much as I wanted it, I knew it was not for me. You must see my specially-built instrument storage closet now to understand - I had no room for it (and my house is about 2150 sq ft). I guess I just wasn't motivated at any price. She eventually located a buyer in the midwest and shipped it. DAVE

Finding a place to play bass saxophone is difficult, but possible. I'm sorry I missed this thread for a few days. It's a really good question.

For years I've been buying music for saxophone ensembles, usually sextets, with bass saxophone parts. Then I record them on a multitrack recorder, just to play the bass sax parts. It takes a lot of time, requires me to play soprano, alto, tenor, and baritone also, and I've needed to buy the necessary recording equipment. And of course, I'm still restricted to playing at home. All in all, not the best opportunity to play bass.

I play a lot professionally, and occasionally I get a chance to "sneak" my bass sax into a performance. Since there are not many bass sax players, I get called to play bass saxophone once in a blue moon. There is little competition. Still, the opportunity to play is rare.

Here are a few unusual ways to use your bass saxophone:

1. Saxophone quartets - They have become more common, usually soprano, alto, tenor and baritone. Buy some quintet or sextet charts (try Dorn publications) and add two players to the group, including bass.

Also, you can transpose only two of the quartet parts, the soprano and tenor parts, up one step, and play them on alto and tenor. Play the alto part on tenor and the baritone part on bass as written. If there are low A notes in the baritone part, you may have to use the soprano and tenor parts as is, played on alto and baritone, and transpose the baritone and alto parts upward. As confusing as this all sounds, it's a way of using quartet arrangements for bass sax by only transposing 2 of the parts. S,A,T,B becomes A,T,B,Bs.

2. Big band sax sections - This one is easier. It's usually not hard to find a big rehearsal band with 5 saxes. Add the bass on the bottom, and you have the personnel to play sax sextets while the brass take a break. You'll usually need a soprano, but lots of sax players have one that they are eager to play.

3. Bass sax solo with big band - Pick your favorite tune. Buy or borrow a big band chart of that tune with a solo feature for any instrument. Transpose the solo for bass sax and move the ensemble parts into other parts so that the arrangement is complete enough to make sense.

Basically, you have to create your own gigs. But a little planning and preparation usually pays off. Most of the stuff I've listed requires a lot of reading. If you play mostly by ear, the possibilities are actually greater. Any "strolling" gig for Dixieland band, German band, brass ensemble (fanfare groups, and I actually saw a strolling brass sextet once) requires a bass player that is NOT a string or Fender bass. Usually, It's a tuba, but bass sax is better.

Last edited:
Several years ago, before Paul Woltz moved to Washington State, he played in the band I'm with now in southern California, the Golden Eagle Jazz Band. He played bass saxophone and alto saxophone and was the fourth horn in a traditional "Dixieland" front line . . . cornet, clarinet/sop sax, and trombone. The band also had (still does) a string bass for the normal bass voice.

It worked perfectly because Paul is such a gifted player, he could find the perfect space to play, whether he was on bass sax or alto. And, he didn't clash with the normal bass voice in a trad band.

After Paul moved, he was replaced by Robert Young, who besides playing bass sax and alto, also played an occasional second cornet part, ala Joe Oliver and Louis Armstrong in the 1920's pioneer band, King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band.

Robert was also a terrific musician and was able to play the bass sax as part of the front line, not as a bass instrument but more like a fourth voice in the band's front line. Robert also moved north to Santa Rosa and occasionally joins the Golden Eagles at festivals, when he can. On the rest of the occasions, we go with the normal three-horn front line, but I miss hearing that fourth saxophone voice.

The whole point being that a bass saxophone in a trad band doesn't necessarily have to be relegated to playing tuba/string bass parts. DAVE

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom