Which Clarinet to buy?

I am an experienced trumpet player wanting to learn clarinet.

I have an opportunity to obtain either a Yamaha Bb YCL650 Clarinet or a Backun Bb Protage Bb Grenadilla Clarinet, silver keys.

I would love to hear some feedback on these two instruments to help me choose.

Thanks.

Using data from https://www.kesslerandsons.com/clarinets.

Brand spankin' new, the starting price for a Protégé is $2,500. Used, the base model is $1400+. If you're quick, you could get one of Kessler's close-out Protégés in cocobolo for $2000. The Yamaha 650 is $1900, new. Used is around $1000.

Disclaimer: I have not played the Backun clarinets. I don't have direct experience. I've just heard that they're good. I have experience playing multiple Yamaha instruments and they're consistently good across their entire range.

Anyhow, either horn is major overkill for a beginner's horn. You could probably use either for your entire playing career, if you're going to be doubling on clarinet and trumpet. Unless you have to make a choice by yourself, right now, sight unseen, and the horns are either warrantied to be in perfect shape or are brand new, the best idea is to tell your instructor that you have $X to spend and these are the two horns that you've narrowed down your choices to. Personally, again with no opportunity to play either, but warrantied that the horn is in perfect shape, I'd get the Backun. I've wanted to try one for a while. I like the look and if the horn's junk, I can sell it for a better price and buy a used Yamaha Custom and pay for lessons.

I wish I had the problem of having to decide between these two horns :D.

Using data from https://www.kesslerandsons.com/clarinets.

Brand spankin' new, the starting price for a Protégé is $2,500. Used, the base model is $1400+. If you're quick, you could get one of Kessler's close-out Protégés in cocobolo for $2000. The Yamaha 650 is $1900, new. Used is around $1000.

Disclaimer: I have not played the Backun clarinets. I don't have direct experience. I've just heard that they're good. I have experience playing multiple Yamaha instruments and they're consistently good across their entire range.

Anyhow, either horn is major overkill for a beginner's horn. You could probably use either for your entire playing career, if you're going to be doubling on clarinet and trumpet. Unless you have to make a choice by yourself, right now, sight unseen, and the horns are either warrantied to be in perfect shape or are brand new, the best idea is to tell your instructor that you have $X to spend and these are the two horns that you've narrowed down your choices to. Personally, again with no opportunity to play either, but warrantied that the horn is in perfect shape, I'd get the Backun. I've wanted to try one for a while. I like the look and if the horn's junk, I can sell it for a better price and buy a used Yamaha Custom and pay for lessons.

I wish I had the problem of having to decide between these two horns :D.
Thanks much for your reply.
Harry

Back
Top Bottom