Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Xenforo 2.0 Themes

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
I've installed two dark themes (read "color combinations") for the forum, on top of the Xenforo default.

To change the theme, scroll all the way to the bottom of the page. On the left side, you'll see something that (probably) currently reads "Xenforo Default." Click and choose a different theme. That's it.

Screenshot_1.png

If you want a different style, I encourage you to check out the list on Xenforo's website. Note that I'm trying to reduce my workload here, so if you want a complex theme -- these generally mention something about a "framework" -- I'll want donations to the forum.

Last edited:
Oooh, I like that blue one better than the current rather bright one.
Thanks for putting these themes in!

It seems like there is a lot more blank real estate at the top of the home page than before the change. Either that or the pictures are bigger. Not a big deal on a large monitor, but requires a lot more scrolling on a small screen.

It seems like there is a lot more blank real estate at the top of the home page than before the change. Either that or the pictures are bigger. Not a big deal on a large monitor, but requires a lot more scrolling on a small screen.
Our "logo" is just text converted into a .png file. It's about an inch tall on my 43" 4K display. What I've never really liked is the whitespace on the sides of the forum "body." That's 8" on each side for me. If and only if I find one line of code to "fill up" the sides, I'll add that code. I know it can be done, because I see a bunch of paid themes have that function.

Anyhow, the forum looks really good on my laptop's 15" 1080p display.

@saxhound Take a pic and send it my way. I'll see what I can do.

Primarily for Jim, I've uploaded a theme called AZD Green. As this looks like it's based off the default theme, it shouldn't be difficult to maintain.

What I've never really liked is the whitespace on the sides of the forum "body." That's 8" on each side for me.
I've also created "fuller width" versions of all currently installed themes/styles. I no longer have 16" of wasted space on my 4K monitor. Yay!!

It used to a a bunch of steps to reset the width of a theme. It's now three or four steps.

If you see any problems, RSVP. Please also include a screenshot. Note that I don't have a 5K iMac, so I didn't test at that res. Looks good on my iPhone 7. Looked good on the res tester website I used.

I like the fuller width. Fit's nicely on my 14" laptop screen. Tried the green, but it seems a little pale. I'll stick with the default.

I really like the default, too. It also has the benefit of always being supported :D.

As mentioned, I do have a 43" 4K TV that I use as a monitor. There is an awful lot of extra room in the "logo banner" at the top of the page:

Screenshot_1.png

If anybody's artistic, maybe design us a better logo ...?

Hmmm. Clicked on New Posts a minute ago, and I was no longer logged in. Perhaps the same https issue?

I'd say log out, empty cache, log back in, and try again. Make sure you check the box for "keep me logged in." It used to do that all the time for me and it hasn't this AM. Yet itd_3d_ani_w60_smiles_037.gif

Oh. I'll also mention the Extensions I have: uBlock Origin, LastPass, Privacy Badger, and Internet Download Manager.

Last edited:
Also, allow me to make a plug: https://portableapps.com. They have portable versions of about 400 apps, including Opera, Firefox, and Chrome. I use them all the time because, if I need to, I can just go to the PortableApps directory, delete Chrome (or whatever) and install a new copy of Chrome and it'll take all of about two minutes to do that.

Disclaimer, as I now work in IT security: chances are very good that your company's IT guys block this stuff at work. It's literally just a box I have to check on the management stuff I use. I'd also recommend that, after you download the PortableApp stuff, you scan its directories with your favorite antivirus and antimalware product or go to VirusTotal.com and have it check the specific portable app(s) you're using.

What happened to the themes we had bought before? Do they no longer work in this new version of XenForo?

Unless I am mistaken, we had DarkTabbed in the old version of the forum. Do those themes no longer work? Would you have to buy the new versions?

Looks like the Brass and Winds advertising disappear in the new themes?
I was sure I saw it when I logged in. I don't see it anymore in any theme or browser. I'll check into that.

What happened to the themes we had bought before? Do they no longer work in this new version of XenForo?
Unfortunately, they did only work in the old version. They don't have new versions available. The themes were in a family called "Elegance" and were by a company called Artodia. They keep threating that there will be an update to the style, but the last post on that was from October 2017.

DarkTabbed is now a paid theme from a company called Nulumia. I do agree it's pretty. Info and demo. Anyone have an opinion?

I like it, but then you likely already knew that.

That said, I can live with the dark theme we have. No need to create work for yourself. As long as I don't get eye strain and have to wear sunglasses when reading the WF, then I'm OK.

I honestly don't know how many people we have that use a dark theme. It strikes me that most people prefer light backgrounds... Unless I am mistaken....

Ad is back. Sorry, Jim and Quinn. I had deleted the older versions of this forum from the server to save on inodes and this forum was pointing to the wrong "images" folder. Easy fix.

I should poll dark v. light.

I think it comes down to taste, really. You've got a dark theme on your website and blog, Helen, and we have a dark theme for the photo gallery. I had a light theme when I used older gallery software (Gallery 2, Coppermine), but I started using a dark theme with Piwigo four-ish years ago and I think it looks much better that way..

The highest readability is supposed to be black text on a white background. A lot of earlier computers used green or amber on a black background. Hey, if an admin wants a dark theme, I'll try to make that happen.

Thanks @pete! The link used to go to this page: https://www.brassandwinds.com/ instead of the eBay page. Wonder which one is easier to use? I send my friends to the Brass and Winds page.

I loving the dark motif you've provided. Dunno why, but a huge white page is too bright for me now-a-daze. But all flavors look good. Having three or four is really overkill, thank you for doing that!

As far as the link, I don't remember which one we used in Xenforo 1.5, so I'll definitely believe you. It's literally one line of code to change. I'll post a "how to" in the admin forum.

I've increased the width of the Forum Default (Fuller Width) theme by just a bit. It might be too wide, now. It's just one number to change and one button to push, so if anyone doesn't like or has problems, RSVP and I'll turn it back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom