Low Clarinet Obsessed

Hey all, I’m a recent lurker turned member.
My primary instrument is trombone. As a kid, I went through a period of borrowing unused band instruments and teaching myself how to play them using Yamaha books. My first secondary instrument was bass clarinet (I did not learn on Bb), followed by flute, piccolo, tuba, trumpet, bassoon, and violin (strings and I do not do well together!).
My senior year at Yale our wind ensemble was doing an exchange concert with UPenn. One of the pieces was a modern composition that had an essential contra bass clarinet part. Nobody in the clarinet section could get more than a note or two out of the instrument without squeaking. I was able to make it sing almost immediately, and so for that semester my trombone was relegated to my dorm room closet. I had an absolute blast playing that beast.
Fast forward twenty years of not playing any instruments, and two years ago I dusted off the trombone. Then I bought a Noblet bass clarinet off eBay. I pacticed the bass (boy was I rusty!) and started playing it in my community groups. The magic was back!
After a few missed eBay opportunities I found a paperclip contra, played it for a cycle and now she’s at South Florida Horns getting completely overhauled (compete with a gold bell which is kind of extra, but then so am I). I also played a Royal Global Max at TMEA last year and fell in love; I’m now grateful to have one that was given the Studio overhaul treatment by L&P.
The most exciting and unexpected development is that I’m finally using my theory and composition degree. I’m a crap composer, but it turns out I love and am decent at arranging parts for contra and adapting standard bass parts for extended range bass, including incorporating non-covered parts like bassoon 2, string bass, alto clarinet, etc.
I’m excited to geek out with y’all!

Nice story! I come from a sax background but only play bc/cbc and bass flute these days. You might get a kick out of learning bass flute and joining a flute choir that needs them.

Nice story! I come from a sax background but only play bc/cbc and bass flute these days. You might get a kick out of learning bass flute and joining a flute choir that needs them.
You know, we do have a group here in San Antonio (Fiesta Flutes). Got me thinking about it lol

Luv, luv, luv bass clarinet. Had me two contra's too but never played them so I sold them when I moved to a downsized abode. Welcome and enjoy!

DSCF0288.JPG

Back during Spring 1973, I was issued an Eb alto clarinet while a student at the Army Element, Naval School of Music in Virginia Beach, VA. The school staff assigned me to play that instrument in their annual Spring Concert. Since, I have not touched any low clarinets, since.

However, I did not recognize I actually have a better feel for the lower notes than the higher, until I played bari sax in the 300th Army (Reserve) Band (Bell, CA - in LA area) in the 1980's. (We had an old King bari in the supply room that needed some work, otherwise was in clean condition. I took home their instrument repair kit, replaced a couple bad pads, installed missing bumpers, straightened a few keys. Amazingly, although it lacked fancy engraving (probably an entry level horn), it played very well in tune. Tom Levitt, author of The Leak Light Speaks explains that more or less, saxes manufactured before 1967 were at least of intermediate quality. This one definitely was, and it was truly a joy to play.

Now fully retired, I have two bari's, a well used Beaugnier Vito low Bb from the early 1950's, and a more recent bought new Antigua Winds low A. With a full cache of saxes, don't think I'll opt for a low clarinet. However, one of our bari sax players in the Clovis Community Band also doubles on Bb Bass Clarinet.

Back
Top Bottom