Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Thinking of getting a Nuvo DooD

Aulos303

_•_ •_• __ •_•_ •____|
Banned :(
From what I've seen on youtube these (and the Jsax) look and sound really good. I can get one for less than £30 and even tho it won't have the range of a clarinet it has that reed, giving that sound and dynamics that I really like, also it will give me the opportunity of playing an instrument that requires an embouchure.
I'm told that the Jsax can use a regular sax mouthpiece too.

Anyone tried a DooD or Jsax?

Nope, although I did write about jSax on the weblog portion of my website.

They are a starter instrument intended for kids. If I were you, I would save my money, and buy a decent used, student clarinet--like the Vito V7212 or V7214 we were discussing on another thread. They will give you a much greater bang for your buck, and will actually be the instrument you want.

As I wrote in that other thread, the sound is great on them, and they are made extremely well. If they can make me sound like a real clarinet player, then they can pull off miracles. ;)

Nope, although I did write about jSax on the weblog portion of my website.

They are a starter instrument intended for kids. If I were you, I would save my money, and buy a decent used, student clarinet--like the Vito V7212 or V7214 we were discussing on another thread. They will give you a much greater bang for your buck, and will actually be the instrument you want.

As I wrote in that other thread, the sound is great on them, and they are made extremely well. If they can make me sound like a real clarinet player, then they can pull off miracles. ;)
I would love to do that, but I don't have a regular income, and I'm 50. By the time I had enough money to buy a new sax (and it would have to be new let's face it) I might be in my 60s!

Another option was a Xaphoon, like the Cantabile X20.

What about this Xaphoon? The Cantabile X20

There are a few parts to this.

So, you want a cheap instrument-like thing to fool around with. Go ahead and buy a DooD. The only problem I see is that if you eventually move to a "real" woodwind, you're going to have to unlearn some bad habits that you learned from playing the DooD.

===========

I have a couple of recommendations:

Possibly the best suggestion I have is to see if you can find a music store near you that will a) finance a horn for you and b) give you free lessons. I think that this is the best of all possible worlds for you.

~ Small pause while my 55lb German Shepherd/Doberman mix wants to give me kisses, like NOW ~

Second, in a former life, I was the assistant to the director at a rather large church in New York. We had several instruments that were donated to us -- I think that I personally donated four or so -- and the director would give free lessons to anyone that played in the orchestra. You donate time, you get free stuff.

Third, check out a local college that has a music program. Wander the halls and look at posted flyers. You might find someone that wants to teach (or at least needs extra credits) and has a horn lying around for you to play on.

Fourth, it's possible that you have a community band/orchestra that will do what I mentioned in my second point.

Fifth, check your local paper and CraigsList to see if anyone is giving away instruments. I'm told CL has a pretty good free section.

Sixth, keep going to your local Goodwill/thrift stores/pawn shops and check out goodwill.com. You might be able to score something cheap that doesn't need that much repair. Remember that it's much more rare for something good to filter down to this level.

Seventh, check to see if your city auctions off stuff. I, unfortunately, don't remember the website I used -- and it was probably for AZ anyway -- but they were selling everything from a snowplow (!) to old band instruments. Remember that it's much more rare for something good to filter down to this level.

Good points, but most if not all are not applicable here in England. I know for a fact that the college I attended doesn't even have a music department.
Craigslist, isn't that just for in the US? Same with Goodwill.com?

....By the time I had enough money to buy a new sax (and it would have to be new let's face it)....

There is no reason in the world a sax ANYBODY buys NEEDS to buy new. Of all my approx. 30 saxophones, only 1 of them I got new--and in hindsight, I should have bought its predecessor in vintage variety as well. My horns range in vintage from 1886-2004--with the great majority made before I was was born. My gigging horns are all in top playing condition, and are as good a shape today, as they were when they left their respective factories --some even better.

Good points, but most if not all are not applicable here in England. I know for a fact that the college I attended doesn't even have a music department.
Craigslist, isn't that just for in the US? Same with Goodwill.com?

I'm sure you can find equivalents in the UK somewhere. I have friends that live in England and other UK countries who seem to have no problems finding horns in thrift shops and thru online listings.

Rather than telling us why you can't do something, if you tried some out of the box thinking like Pete recommend above, I suspect you would have more luck. He's provided you with some excellent ideas. I've known a number of players who got their start via a variety of less traditional methods like these.

I also had several horns given to me and bought a few that were incredibly under-priced. One of the nice things about that was that I was able to trade in those horns to first, get a professional alto sax, then trade that and get a bari -- then sell that, trade in another horn, add some cash, and get my Yamaha 52 bari (and a clarinet, IIRC).

The reason why I don't recommend buying a used instrument on eBay (or equivalent) for a beginner is because a beginner is not going to be able to look at a $100 special on eBay and say, "This is a good deal. It's only going to need $200 work, then it'll be a great horn." However, OP asked for extra cheap.

IMO, if you're talking clarinet and beginner range, you're not going to beat the various B12/S66 horns that QuinnTheEskimo is still selling on eBay. $299. New horn. Gandalfe said you can probably negotiate for a better mouthpiece. You might be able to get shipping to the UK -- and I shipped a bari to London for $100 a few years back. That's a horn that's over 11lbs + a 7lb case a at least 10lbs and is a really big package vs. a horn under 2lbs with maybe a 2lb case. Just send QuinnTheEskimo an e-mail and ask.
Rather than telling us why you can't do something, if you tried some out of the box thinking like Pete recommend above, I suspect you would have more luck.
I also encourage out-of-the-box thinking. If anyone has any ideas, please post.

OP, you're not going to get anywhere if all you do is think of reasons why you can't do something.

Back
Top Bottom