Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

1820s-1850s Flute- H. something, Leipzig (?)

TrueTone

College Student who likes wind instruments & music
So I went personally to the estate sale my mom bought me the Conn 444N Clarinet at. (amongst a book by Bonade, a Conn Bugle, an IDRS program, and some records, amongst some other stuff)
Most of the stuff was sold already (including both an Oboe and a nice looking Pan-Am Alto, both of which were already sold on the first day.)
But this flute was still there under some sheet music in a bin, probably because of a crack in it.
Has 5 keys (technically 6 but two activate the same tone hole)
Keys are set into extensions from the wood, mainly which is why I came to that date.
I'll take pictures when I get home.
Seems like it's worth the $20 I spent on it.
EDIT: I hate USB cords.

Last edited:
Aha!
Found what looks like the same makers' mark on a Clarinet on ebay, construction appears rather similar also:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-W-N...et-with-Nickel-Keys-wood-ISI600-/302103918084
The Linz makes sense, as I was assuming it from it saying L..Z it was Leipzig.
The H in that looks like it could be a W, also.
I also apparently am rather unreliable at actually posting pictures when I say I will. =P

Last edited:
An update, 2ish years later:
I'v researched this some more since then, and have this:
Its definitely German, not Austrian.
I can't read it very well still, but I'm not sure the first letter in the 2nd line is an L, but Leipzig makes sense, considering about halfway through a letter looks like a Z, and it looks like early 19th century flutes from Dresden and Leipzig. The first letter on the first line is definitely an H or a K, though.
Also, it looks extremely like this flute:
http://www.originalflutes.com/german-flutes/anon-6-key-flute.html
Not exact, but at least very similar.

Don't think I ever sent any of the pictures I took, these are from like a year ago but still about the best I can do probably, it's really hard to see the logo.
I'll take a few brighter looking pictures tomorrow though, along with a good picture of the headjoint.
fzNOjtQ.png
7YI6YMo.png
om4ib1k.png
bp9vrnu.png

Back
Top Bottom