Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Another OCD project

jbtsax

Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
Steel drill rod in assorted sizes is very difficult to store in a way that makes it easily accessible to quickly find the size you need and to keep it from rusting. Shown below is a solution I came up with using plastic plumbing tubing and plastic gun cartridge containers. The bottoms of the tubes are closed using a 1/4" wood plug, and the tops will be sealed with plastic tops that are on order.

Loosedrillrods.jpg

Drillrodstoragerack.jpg

Use a version of this cabinet to store sound post material. Should be well suited to sorting rods as well, I'd think.

Here is an update. About a week after I finished the other rod holder I went to my shop and found everything on the floor. The velcro and the superglue failed and the plastic holders broke on impact. That required going to "plan B" which took a long time to come up with.

I found a source for the clear plastic tubes where you don't have to buy 500 at a time, and I got the idea to use magnetic tool holders from one of the posts in the thread about screwdrivers. The clear tubes allow me to see how much rod is left in each size. When a certain size is gone, the tube goes on top to remind me to order some more of that size.

Since I have been working exclusively on vintage saxes, it is notable how many key rods need to be replaced while fitting keys and removing friction. Picture below.

Drillrodstorageracknew.jpg

Back
Top Bottom