Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Audition piece

Hi all,
I've currently got a year left until i start doing auditions for various things. Im trying to find a piece that will demonstrate a lot of skill although I'm finding it hard to find one. Im looking for a piece thats above grade 8 standard could anyone point me in the right direction. It doesn't matter what style it is.
Thanks

Last edited:
Music in the US is graded on a scale from 1 to 6, with 1 being "Mary Had a Little Lamb" and 6 being "Mozart Clarinet Concerto." In other words, it's not the grade you're attending in school that matters, it's how good of a player you are. So, if you can tell us a bit about your skill level, what you like (or what style you like) playing, we can be more helpful. Also, getting waaaayy ahead of myself, if you're thinking about going to college for music, you should pick a grade 6 piece and practice it for years until your college auditions.

In England grades are something completely different. They've got nothing to do with school grades and you can do them at your own pace .Im currently able to play at the standard of Mozart's concerto (grade 8). As a result of this i am wanting to play play something that is at a higher level than this. Thanks

Many years ago, after I had the Mozart pretty well mastered, my teacher had me work on the Carl Maria Von Weber concertos, Fantasia and Rondo, and the clarinet excerpts from Rigoletto. The Rigoletto is pretty demanding. IIRC, it was the audition piece for several honors bands composed of advanced high school and college students. Also, if you haven't already worked on them, the 30 Cavallini Caprices will kick your butt for months. They aren't really audition solos, but are an extreme technical workout in various key signatures and time signatures. I remember one audition where they pulled one out as a sight reading piece. Fortunately for me, I had played it before, so I did pretty well.

Many years ago, after I had the Mozart pretty well mastered, my teacher had me work on the Carl Maria Von Weber concertos, Fantasia and Rondo, and the clarinet excerpts from Rigoletto. The Rigoletto is pretty demanding. IIRC, it was the audition piece for several honors bands composed of advanced high school and college students. Also, if you haven't already worked on them, the 30 Cavallini Caprices will kick your butt for months. They aren't really audition solos, but are an extreme technical workout in various key signatures and time signatures. I remember one audition where they pulled one out as a sight reading piece. Fortunately for me, I had played it before, so I did pretty well.

Thanks a lot :)

I did a little digging through my files. The C.M. von Weber pieces included:
Concertino (opus 26)
Concerto #1 in F Minor (opus 73)
Concerto #2 in Eb Major (opus 74)
Grand Duo Concertant (opus 48)
Fantasia and Rondo (opus 34)

The Rigoletto piece was called Concert Fantasia.
All of the above were published by Carl Fischer.

I also found Adagio-Tarantella by Ernesto Cavallini (Neil A. Kjos Music Co.) and Sonata in Ab Major (opus 49 no. 1) by Max Reger (Belwin Mills Publishing).

Keep in mind that these were all purchased in the 1960's & 70's, so the publishers may have been bought, sold or gone out of business.

You may also want to check out this web site for ideas:
http://imslp.org/wiki/List_of_Compositions_Featuring_the_Clarinet

There is a wealth of information there including recordings, midi files and some parts.

Adagio-Tarantella by Ernesto Cavallini is one of my favourites!

Suite from the Victorian Kitchen Garden for Clarinet and Piano (or Harp) by Pa
ul Reade is another beautiful choice

<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 16.2000007629395px;">[video=youtube;f0OE5Bux7G8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0OE5Bux7G8[/video]

Back
Top Bottom