B&S Saxophones

Helen

Content Expert Saxophones
Staff member
Administrator
I was looking around the forum today, and noticed that no one had posted anything on these German horns yet. I was kinda' surprised, since we do have a number of SOTW'ers here, and they are a big hit on that board. So I thought I'd throw out the first post.

When I went shopping around for a back up bari in 2004, I knew I wanted a low A horn. (Since my main bari is a low Bb Mark VI.) Because I love vintage horns, my choices for low A horns was fairly limited.

The Martin Magna (rare as hen’s teeth) would be the one I might have been the most interested in, but the chances of finding one would have been slim. And since I would really have wanted to try it before I bought it, the chances would have gone down from slim to none.

So, knowing that I would most likely have to move out of my vintage saxophone comfort zone into the realm of the unknown (to me anyway) modern pro or maybe intermediate horn, I started doing research into the modern pro and intermediate brands. I researched and play tested a lot of new baris.

Since the B&S Medusa models had received such favorable reviews on SOTW, I decided would give them a try as well. I went to the Long & McQuade store and had a chance to try 2 of them. When I started playing the 2 Medusa baris I noticed something about them: they had a complexity to their tone that was lacking in virtually all the other modern pro horns I had already play tested, including the Selmer Series II.

Of the 2 B&S baris, I ended up picking out the one that was more full of overtones, and naturally more “edgier” sounding than the other. For many musicians this could have been a real turnoff, but for me, and the style of music that I play, (R&B, rock, & blues) the more edge the better.

I can tame the horn, but chose not to. I like to let it run full throttle. Not many baris can hold their own against the nasty effects that pedals add to guitars, but this bari can when it is not restrained. But the horn is versatile enough that if I do ever need it for a jazz gig because my VI is in the shop, I tone it down with m/ps and reeds and ligatures, and it passes as a jazz horn. But just push it a bit, and it will take off even then.

Given it's a pro horn at an intermediate horn price, they were a great bang for your buck. It's a shame the company could not maintain their professional level saxophone line...Even if it meant bringing the prices up somewhat.

If you've not yet had the chance, and ever do get the chance to play a B&S pro model horn, give it a go. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. They're a great horn.

Helen: I have a B&S Medusa alto. It is a nice horn, alright, but I prefer others in my closet over the B&S.

Two things distract me . . . 1) sticky pads - not a fatal flaw and fixable; 2) a rough feel to the touches.

Meaning, that if I only had the Medusa to play, I'd be happy, but when I compare it to my vintage altos or my Ref 54 alto, there is no comparison. The others have a smooth, luxurious feel to them - the Medusa not so much. But it is only one example. DAVE

Helen: I have a B&S Medusa alto. It is a nice horn, alright, but I prefer others in my closet over the B&S.

Two things distract me . . . 1) sticky pads - not a fatal flaw and fixable; 2) a rough feel to the touches.

Meaning, that if I only had the Medusa to play, I'd be happy, but when I compare it to my vintage altos or my Ref 54 alto, there is no comparison. The others have a smooth, luxurious feel to them - the Medusa not so much. But it is only one example. DAVE

I haven't noticed anything with the pads, but the touches are certainly a bit rougher than on my other horns. They feel more angular to the touch, not as round, (or in the case of the mother of pearl round touches more deeply concaved) than on any of my other makes of horns (Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Martin, Pierret, or Hammerschmidt).

There's a really nice looking Weltklang / B&S on Ebay right now. Could be a good one to archive the pics...or someone who loves it could grab it. I think it is neat that it has two ways to activate Low A...left pinkie bottom key or left thumb below thumb rest:

s-l1600.jpg

Not sure if you have read my website or not, but there have been many changes to it since I originally wrote this post.

The Weltklang you mention was made by B&S while it was still nationalized. I have written about the company extensively in the vintage sax section of my website.

As for the Medusa I wrote about, that was made after the company was back in private hands. That company history too can be found on my website, but under the modern sax section.

I have extensive photo collections of the different models included in both of these sections to give readers a good idea of what the horns look like, and what features they have. I also have a page that looks at the rumours circulating about the vintage baris in an effort to dispel them.

Back
Top Bottom