Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

band musical instruments

Do you think Chinese band musical instruments is popular in your market?
welcome to write down some comment , thanks!

The most popular band instruments that I've come across here in Oz are Jupiter, Yamaha, Pearl, with a fair number of cheap-and-nasties from parts oriental.

I've seen lots of Yamaha, Jupiter, and Selmer instruments in the schools here in the Pacific Northwest. With adults who are buying instruments, there are so many people into the vintage stuff like Conn, Buescher, and the like. I have seen pros buy a cheap Asian-made instrument just to play around with them. But they rarely perform with them in public. Soft metals, poor construction, and horrible intonation make many of the cheap instruments hard to play. But a pro can often make a 2 by 4 sound good, don't you think?

Hmmm. Is "Helen" selling Chinese instruments? Just wondering.

When I gigged in China in the 1980s I played a "Lark" alto that a gal in the band had. Decent tone, not nearly as good as my 1925 King. Better intonation than my King, but not as good as a top-notch horn. I would put it in the advanced student category.

I haven't played a newer Chinese horn.

I do have a MacSax Tenor, made in Taiwan, that is definitely a first-rate horn. I'd compare that to a Phil Barone sax.

My all-time favorite sax, the one I liked even better than my Mark VI was an H.Couf Superba. The tone was outstanding. Perhaps because of the high copper content in the brass, which was also it's downfall, it turned green with a texture like a cantaloupe in the South Florida salt air.

Notes

Hmmm. Is "Helen" selling Chinese instruments? Just wondering.....

Notes

I just saw this as I was looking to take care of some SPAM.

Surely you jest, right? itd_3d_ani_w60_smiles_037.gif

If you ever read any of my stuff on my website, you'd know what I think of horns like this... Just saying....

Do you think Chinese band musical instruments is popular in your market?
welcome to write down some comment , thanks!

Which Chinese band instruments? The illegal counterfeits of famous brands being sold on shyster sites? Knockoffs of famous brands then illegally passed off as the genuine article to unsuspecting consumers as the genuine article?

Sadly, cheap illegally-copied Chinese instruments are available in Canada. Fortunately though, they are not popular. And I will do my best to try and keep it that way. Just last week I wrote a lengthy article on fake Keilwerths. And in 2016 I wrote an article on fake Selmers.

Or perhaps you are referring to cheaply-made, inexpensive instruments that are flooding the student instrument market?

Which Chinese band instruments? The illegal counterfeits of famous brands being sold on shyster sites? Knockoffs of famous brands then illegally passed off as the genuine article to unsuspecting consumers as the genuine article?

Sadly, cheap illegally-copied Chinese instruments are available in Canada. Fortunately though, they are not popular. And I will do my best to try and keep it that way. Just last week I wrote a lengthy article on fake Keilwerths. And in 2016 I wrote an article on fake Selmers.

Or perhaps you are referring to cheaply-made, inexpensive instruments that are flooding the student instrument market?
Great post!

Guitarists are plagued with the same thing, probably to even a greater extent, as it's much easier to cut a chunk of wood to a similar shape as a Gibson or Fender.

One good reason to buy your gear from a reputable, factory authorized dealer.

Insights and incites by Notes

The OP is a different Helen "double L" :)
The average non woodwind person doesn't see the shortcomings of low quality "instruments", they probably think of (us?) ney sayers as snobs.

In the case of a grade school student, the parent almost always goes with the teachers recommendation, and that's a good thing.

The occasional question comes from a new member (who then disappears) about a jacque pepin clarinet or similar.

"Educator approved" is often mentioned as a way of selling the substandard "instruments" along with white gloves and a bunch of useless cheap assessories. ( Why do people selling used instruments think that we want the old nasty cork grease, swab and reeds - toss!).

In the 70's Japanese cars were thought to be cheap disposable cars . Later Korean Cars got the same rap. However, many of these cheapy
"instruments" are Yugos .

Last edited:
Where I live saxophones are being sold online
that are cheap knock off’s or counterfeits of well known good quality ones and it’s apparently working. It’s not so much that they are popular as much as people are getting scammed.

Japanese saxophones ARE however selling well. The Yamaha’s that are made in Japan and very well made and much sought after.
I have one and love it. That was after playing a vintage sax for years. To my ears the Yamaha has the cleanest, clearest sound ever.

That said I’d never played a top of the line saxophone except a Selmer and i think Yamaha surpasses them. ( in my opinion )

I've owned Selmers, (Modele 26, Mark VI, Mark VII), Conn (Fireworks), Couf (Superb), Grassi (Prestige), MacSax (custom build) and a Yamaha. I'm currently playing the Mac and the Yamaha tenors. It's been a long time since I had the Selmers, so I can't compare tone, but the Yamaha has much better intonation than the Selmers and Conn (of course they were older technoligy), it's easy blowing, and I like it even better than the sax I had built custom for me. I think my next sax might also be a Yamaha.

I gig one-nighters for a living, and I'm a multi-instrumentalist. Both are extremely hard on instruments. Plus, I play a lot outdoors in the Florida Sun and Salt-Air. When I'm done with a sax, it's pretty ratty, but in its professional life, it made me a lot of money, enough to pay off the mortgage.

I bought them all from reputable dealers. The only one I bought used was the Yamaha, and I got it from a SamAsh store.

I intended the Yamaha to be a back-up horn for when my Mac needs servicing, but I like it so much, it shares front line duties with the Mac.

Insights and incites by Notes

the Yamaha has much better intonation than the Selmers and Conn (of course they were older technoligy), it's easy blowing, and I like it even better than the sax I had built custom for me. I think my next sax might also be a Yamaha.
Yamaha has great intonation and is most certainly easy to play which leaves less stress on the mouth muscles. It’s also easy to play ‘key wise.’

The longer I play my Yamaha, the more I like it. Oddly enough I had my old vintage saxophone refurbished, with all new pads thinking I’d eventually get back into it but I’m having FAR too much fun on the Yamaha. In fact, the more I play it, the more I love it.

Just make sure it’s made in Japan not in Taiwan.

I’m actually surprised that Yamaha has a far nicer sound that Selmer. For most of my life, I’ve always consider Selmer as top of the line.
Time to step aside Selmer.

The best sounding sax I ever owned was my Couf Superba II. I'm guessing it was because there was a lot of copper in the brass. But the copper was its downfall. Since they don't re-lacquer saxes anymore, it turned green in the salt air with blisters that made it look like cantaloupe skin.

I sold it to buy the Grassi, because it was gold-plated. The sound was thinner, but acceptable. But when the gold started flaking off, it looked too ratty.

Besides for outdoors, I also play in ballrooms where the men dress in tuxedos and the women in gowns. These gigs pay good money, and a ratty instrument can be a deal-breaker. When the women dress up in expensive gowns and jewelry, the band is expected to look sharp too. (And rightly so.)

That's when I bought the MacSax (Mac doesn't make saxes anymore, but they are similar to any top of the line Taiwanese horn). I used the Grassi for outdoor gigs, and when it needed an overhaul, for a few more dollars I could buy the used Yamaha, so I did.

The more I play the Yamaha, the more I like it.

Notes

Just putting it out there. Saxophones genuinely "made in Taiwan" in the last 20 years are superior to the ones from before.
There are certain people that will snob a top of the line like a Jupiter player. I totally disagree with this narrow mindedness mentality. Why not try one for your self?

First, I agree with SB that Taiwanese saxophones have made significant improvements over the past X years, according to most posts that I've read and the Taiwanese altos I've played. You can replace X with any number you want. I'll just point at the Antigua Winds and their ProOne. However, "significant improvement" does not = "great horn."

While I tend not to post much, I do read almost every post here. I don't think anyone considers the Jupiter line of instruments "pro." Per me looking at their website, they have the 500 beginner series; the 700 which "is a beginner instrument with advanced features;" and the 1100 which "is the perfect step-up alto saxophone for the committed student or practicing professional."

I don't disrespect people who play a specific make/model. I sometimes feel sorry for them and/or wish they could get some degree of repairs done.

The best sounding sax I ever owned was my Couf Superba II. I'm guessing it was because there was a lot of copper in the brass. But the copper was its downfall. Since they don't re-lacquer saxes anymore, it turned green in the salt air with blisters that made it look like cantaloupe skin.

I sold it to buy the Grassi, because it was gold-plated. The sound was thinner, but acceptable. But when the gold started flaking off, it looked too ratty.

Besides for outdoors, I also play in ballrooms where the men dress in tuxedos and the women in gowns. These gigs pay good money, and a ratty instrument can be a deal-breaker. When the women dress up in expensive gowns and jewelry, the band is expected to look sharp too. (And rightly so.)

That's when I bought the MacSax (Mac doesn't make saxes anymore, but they are similar to any top of the line Taiwanese horn). I used the Grassi for outdoor gigs, and when it needed an overhaul, for a few more dollars I could buy the used Yamaha, so I did.

The more I play the Yamaha, the more I like

I’d never even considered how the material from which the saxophone was made would effect it until. now. Of course salt water would have a huge effect on your instrument. For sure.

Your post made me realize how far we’ve come.

Even mouthpieces have come a long way.
Now you can customize your very own baffle chamber. What?

Anywsy, I can relate to dressing for the occasion. I used to play for a stage band. The money we made went back into the band to pay for music scores and music stands.. We played at some mighty fancy places. Men dressed in tuxedos and women dressed in growns.

It’s so refreshing to read about a band instrumentalist who plays professional and dresses the part.

Back
Top Bottom