Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Bb Clarinet Upper Register squeaking problem

Hi all,

Been playing my buffet clarinet for a very long time. In the last couple of years, I've had issues with the upper register, E, F, above high C. I'm squeaking in those upper register notes more often than not. I had this issue 2 years ago and my clarinet had seal leaks, all pads were replaced, an overhaul. I feel like that took care of the issue, but the squeaks are back. I brought it back and he ran tests and said there are no leaks. I have subsequently tried a different mouthpiece, different reed types (legere plastic and cane), reed strengths, I'm still squeaking. I am beyond frustrated and don't know where to go from here.

I've been playing for more than 30 years.

Thank you!
Beatles111

In theory, a note on clarinet is a controlled squeak.....
To point:
try this: put a bit more bottom lip in, and give it a go...
I myself did go through a period of upper register squeaking and discovered that in my effort to keep a flat-chin I was pulling most of my bottom lip out, thus there was very little lip in-there to pad the reed....so I was getting the overtones (high E went up to the higher A).
I was over-thinking my embouchure....

Let us know if it works.

In theory, a note on clarinet is a controlled squeak.....
To point:
try this: put a bit more bottom lip in, and give it a go...
I myself did go through a period of upper register squeaking and discovered that in my effort to keep a flat-chin I was pulling most of my bottom lip out, thus there was very little lip in-there to pad the reed....so I was getting the overtones (high E went up to the higher A).
I was over-thinking my embouchure....

Let us know if it works.
Hmmm….that’s an interesting thought. I also spend extra effort to keep a flat chin so I wonder if that could be the issue - although soon after my clarinet was fixed 2 years ago, that squeaking issue had gone away. But i will certainly try your suggest and report back. Thank you!

You may not have leaky pads, but there are other sources of leaks. Check the joint corks and around the register tube, and also check the barrel and upper joint for hairline cracks.

You may not have leaky pads, but there are other sources of leaks. Check the joint corks and around the register tube, and also check the barrel and upper joint for hairline cracks.
Oh interesting. I just saw a YouTube video on the register tube and that that should be cleaned with a brush as may be gunk in there preventing easy transition over the break. I ended up finding a little kit to clean that - just ordered it. I'll have to check the barrel and the joint corks also. Thank you!

Last edited:
It's important to keep the register tube clear, but gunk in it will tend to make the clarinet sound stuffy rather than squeaky. My concern was that there could be leakage around the tube. Some are secured in place with beeswax, some with shellac and some with hot glue. The tube can be dislodged during cleaning, and any leakage around the tube is likely to cause squeaks.

Hmmm….that’s an interesting thought. I also spend extra effort to keep a flat chin so I wonder if that could be the issue - although soon after my clarinet was fixed 2 years ago, that squeaking issue had gone away. But i will certainly try your suggest and report back. Thank you!
So I tried that, but very awkward, since i've had the same embouchure for 30 years. lol. But I tried it, still the same result. It's so frustrating.....it's not every time I play those notes that it squeaks....so it's not consistently squeaky. However, it happens more often than not.

So I tried that, but very awkward, since i've had the same embouchure for 30 years. lol. But I tried it, still the same result. It's so frustrating.....it's not every time I play those notes that it squeaks....so it's not consistently squeaky. However, it happens more often than not.
Have you had a friend who plays the same instrument give it a go? I'm guessing it's a maintenance issue of some sort. If another person, a good player has the same issue, I'm guessing it's not you.

No, I have not. It's just so frustrating and weird - as it doesn't consistently squeak. Sometimes I can go awhile with it and be fine. Other times it squeaks more often than not. I just do NOT get it.

So.....how can it be ME then if the above is the case? I just don't understand. All I know is that it's causing so much frustration that I just want to hang 'em up. I'm a very good player and have been playing most of my life and I just do not understand why this is happening.

Last edited:
To ask the obvious, have you tried another mouthpiece? A friend was having the same problem on his R13, and it proved to be a tiny, barely visible ding on the corner of the tip rail. A new mouthpiece resolved the problem. I wish I was nearer to you, I'm sure that face-to-face I could sort this out in a few minutes.

Yep. Same issue. And yes I wish you were closer too to help me out with this because it's beyond frustrating and an inconsistent issue.

Does it matter if there is a slight chip at the top of the upper joint? Please see picture.

Attachments

• tempImageNTatKF.png
    tempImageNTatKF.png
    10.1 MB · Views: 92
It probably won't be an issue as long as the joint corks are in good condition. Try wrapping the cork in a turn or two of plumbers teflon tape. That will ensure that there are no leaks around the cork.

Back
Top Bottom