Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Buffet Mopane (limited to 85 horns)

I knew nothing about Mopane until finding Peat's post.

I now know that it is a reference to an African Hardwood, and per this supplier, is a superior product used to produce woodwind and other instruments, and that it is superior to the more common Grenadilla, or Blackwood, (so he/she says) which is apparently endangered (I don't doubt that it is, but I didn't verify this):

Wow, I'd love to get one of these for Suzy. Not sure the dealers can get them. I've pinged our site sponsor, Matt, to see what he can do.

Update, so my dealer friends say these are not available yet. Wonder if that means they aren't priced yet too?

Last edited:
Update from one of my many dealer friends: So what I have heard from Buffet is that of the 85 total Mopane instruments being made (not just 85 R13, but 85 total clarinets made out of the wood), only 20 total are allocated for the USA. Of the 20 that Buffet USA is receiving, 12 will be R13 models (9 nickel key and 3 silver keys).

However, Buffet USA is offering all of these instruments up to their Artist network first. Once all the artists have been notified and claimed instrument (should they want them as they do have to purchase them), then Buffet USA will open the remaining spots to the general dealer base.

Right now, I am not getting a firm price from Buffet, but was told that they should be about 15% more than the standard models.

Back
Top Bottom