Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Chalumeaux With Baroque Fingering?

The chalumeau has been sparking my interest a lot lately. As I began looking more into it, they appear to have German recorder fingering. Do chalumeaux with Baroque recorder fingering exist? I am fully aware of the fact that an instrument called the "Clarineau" does happen to have variants with Baroque fingering. However, the clarineau and chalumeau are apparently not the same thing. If anyone knows of anyone knows of any sources that have chalumeaux with Baroque fingering, let me know.

*If anyone knows of anyone knows of any sources that have chalumeaux with Baroque fingering, let me know.
*Do Chalumeau with baroque fingering exist? Or did they always happen have German fingering?
It is only now that I have realized how awful that was written. Not sure if there is a way to edit posts, so I had to update this for a much clearer meaning. No wonder people must have been confused! I have been trying to do research to answer my own question. Majority of Chalumeaux seem to have German fingering. However, there are some makers that make the holes all have the same size making it impossible to tell?

306387.jpg
As we can see here, this Thomann Chalumeau Finger #2 for the left hand is small, which mean German flute fingering.
selection_p02_01.jpg

German versus Baroque.

chalumeaux.jpg
Now when you look at this, this is where uncertainty settles in. Now I know what some of you are thinking, "Why not ask just the maker?" And you are right. Perhaps I should have just done that from Day #1, but just wanted to try and see if there would be any additional responses here first.

Here ya go. Baroque-style fingering. My Google-Fu is strong. Now if you asked for a cheap version, that'd be a a more difficult search. Remember: if you have to ask how much something is, it's probably going to be expensive.

Here ya go. Baroque-style fingering. My Google-Fu is strong. Now if you asked for a cheap version, that'd be a a more difficult search. Remember: if you have to ask how much something is, it's probably going to be expensive.

You know? It is funny because I have seen those GT chalumeaux many times. It is only now that I just realized they were baroque-fingered this whole time! So ok, I think it is now clear that chalumeaux originally had baroque fingering. I wonder why many of these "modern makers" decided to go German style, when that is not even their natural fingering system....

Obvious answer: Thomann.de is in Germany :D.

I've only looked into the chalumeau briefly because it's a clarinet relative and I think 18th/19th century clarinets look pretty distinctive and, well, kinda neat. I really don't know much about the fingering systems. My little joke might actually be right, as when you ask for a clarinet from a German company, the first choice they'll give you is an Öhler System horn. There are also German-style clarinet mouthpieces, which I also think is kinda cool.

Back
Top Bottom