Community Band Agenda to Push Ensemble to New Heights

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
I joined the board of this band (did if for my last community band too) and am pushing some agendas. The last community band (Suzy and I were in it for 15 years) adopted all of my suggestions over five years. The suggestions were to split the 13-sax jazz band into two, start simple auditions for new people, institute section leaders. I remember hearing some of my sax section folk saying, as the band got better and played harder, more interesting music, that they wonder if they could pass the audition now-a-daze.

This new band has whole heartedly instituted section leaders after five years of me pushing this as an aid help to the board and directors concentrate on their duties. Now they are seriously considering my start a simple audition requirement because we are often a 60+ piece wind ensemble! I submitted this suggested guidance for the section leaders to implement and board to approve:

As we get larger and with the possibility of a section in the band getting too large, the board is considering implementing a simple audition system for new candidates. It might go something like this.
  1. Ask if the candidate can commit to making most practices.
  2. Ask the candidate to play a concert Bb scale.
  3. Have the candidate and you play a piece of music to check their reading skills, keep it simple. (I used to use a grade three duet.)
  4. If they are not up to snuff, politely thank them for their time and if asked recommend lessons and perhaps another band. (For example, I used to recommend the <IBNH> Community Band.)
Cheers,
Jim

I wouldn't play an audition. Just not interested enough. I can't be the only fairly competent musician to feel this way.

It is a challenge to change the culture of an established band. I would think you need to get the president (if there is one) and conductor to want the changes.

Most of the time players just try to find a band that operates the way they want. They need to figure out how far they are willing to travel to be in a band that fits their needs. Sometimes you luck out and have a close one.

Our highest level band, that my wife and I are in, has an audition process that is really just a hurdle then a probation period. The hurdle is getting past the President to allow you to play at a rehearsal. Then you need make 3 in a row and sit next to different members each week. Then the section votes you in if you seem competent. In practice, once you get to the first rehearsal, you are in if keep coming back. You then need to make 2/3rds of the rehearsals to play a concert.

There needs to be an opening for the President to allow you in. Most sections are already large, but they always take a tuba, percussionist or player with a performance degree. They try to screen for music teachers or semi-pro and/or retired pro players.

We are in 3 other groups that basically take you in if you have a pulse. But we think they have 90-95% decent players. There is another local one that is only 50% decent players that we won’t attend anymore. It is just too frustrating. Some of the players with seniority control the first parts with solos but can not play them.

During the fall/winter/spring there is a local community band that I play with (https://tricountysymphonicband.org/).
I actually played in this band when I was in 11/12th grades and throughout my college years....the conductor auditioned me back then.
The band raises money to provide scholarships to HS students (for lessons) and to college students majoring in music.
(I actually received scholarship money when I was in college in the late 70's.)

I took a break from playing with them for about 10 years but re-joined when my son was asked to play 15 years ago...
There are a bunch of music teachers, pro/semi pro musicians, and really good community players in it.
The conductor (a friend of mine) is a real stickler.....and will let someone know if that person is not cutting it.

I've played in the 1st clar section, Eb clar, Bass clar, Alto/Tenor/Baritone sax, and Flute section.
There is a core of musicians with some changes from concert to concert.
I received an email last week asking if I was available to play the first concert in October. I agreed and he will let me know what to play one week prior to the first rehearsal. (This keeps it interesting for me.)

The band is one of the best of its kind in our section of the state thus people want to join and be associated with it.
I do think that he auditions prospective players.
There are no fees to play with this group. A local Prep school provides a rehearsal/performance space since it is a charitable organization.

There are other groups in the area (town bands) that are OK (I play bassoon in those) plus a couple of bands in a neighboring city (Providence). The Providence bands charge the musicians a fee to participate.

Last edited:
There are no fees to play with this group.
I've honestly never heard of a band charging a fee to play with them, nor has my wife, unless you're counting college tuition or lessons. Both of us have only been paid to play, rather than vice-versa. Is this just for reimbursing or a "donation" to that prep school for space and/or to buy sheet music?

I have been in several community bands with no dues. They get enough small fees from summer concerts in the park to pay for music, etc. I’m in one that recently had $5 dues but that may be a one time thing. Another has $40/yr. They do not get any other income. It goes to folders, music, soloist fees If we invite one, funeral flowers, odd percussion toys,

I’m in one wind ensemble that has a huge $30,000/yr budget. They rent an equipment truck and halls. They have features soloists, dancers, local celebrity Emcees and guest conductors. The have custom made video backgrounds (I make some of them) during concert numbers and hire pros to play them and to record/video the group. They buy glow sticks, etc for audience participation. They put out a yearbook with photos each year (I edit it). They do a bus trip every few years. Usually to some kind of convention or the Kennedy center in DC.

They charge $80/yr in dues unless you get a chair sponsor (for $250) that covers your fee. You get 2 free tickets to each concert with a chair sponsor. They sell tickets to most concerts, get sponsor donations and grant money.

Their spending is over-the-top. I think they could cut out half of what they spend and no one would miss it (except for the few in charge). But they have high quality and challenging music. You can check out some of their videos under the name of Ron Poorman on Youtube. They are the South Jersey Area Wind Ensemble.

Back
Top Bottom