Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Conn 16V Artist

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
First, allow me to quote myself from saxpics.com:

New Wonder Artist's Special is an official name from Conn referring to a finish -- specifically, finish 00: Heavily gold plated, hand burnished over all. ... Bell richly hand-engraved. Inside of bell, engraving background, keys, posts and ferrules hand burnished.

Unlike the much more stunning (and more expensive) New Wonder Virtuoso Deluxe model, this model does not have additional inlaid pearl keytouches on the side keys.

These horns are elaborately engraved: the featured engraving on the bell is generally of a portrait or of a small bucolic scene and there is extensive floral pattering surrounding the portrait, sometimes even over the entire body and bell lip of the horn, although engraving on keys seems to have been only a feature of the New Wonder Virtuoso Deluxe [finished] models. These engravings are supposedly done from a template, but there are over 30 varieties.
However, I've not seen a 16V so furnished. Until now.

Bit of a pity that a) the horn's been sold and b) the pictures aren't bigger. It looks original to me, tho!

Oh. We now have a nice data point for 16V serials, as this ad has the original paperwork. 286 = 1934. It was sold on 06-21-1934, to be very specific. Of course, it could have been languishing in a storage room at Conn for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom