Cool Reed Pipes By SMI ?

I didn't see any links on that page Manny. All I saw was a place to fill out my name and email to get his report.

Yah. I understand that it's a marketing ploy, but if he really thinks his horns are good, he needs to display them for the public.

For $5000, I could probably buy at least 5 "professional-quality" instruments, btb.

Cool Reed Pipes

Hi Helen, Try going to Cool Reed Pipes and see what you get. Let me Know.
Regards, Manny Chavez

He claims his line of saxes are the closest to a Selmer Mark VI of any other sax out there.That to me is quite a BOLD statement!

Last edited by a moderator:
I did actually go through his marketing BS to get to the 2 actual info pages he has, but haven't yet had a chance to read them. I just saved them to my hard drive. I'll read them in the next couple of days when I get a chance. Here's the thing: he can make all the claims he wants. Lots of guys who have been involved in the design of new horns, or have put their names on, or or have endorsed horns do. However, the proof really comes from non-endorsers stepping up and critiquing both the good and the bad in a horn. Has this been done? That's the question. The price clearly indicates an Asian-made horn, which would put it in the running with virtually all the other Asian-made horns currently on the market. It has lots of competition.

Comparisons to Mark VIs abound in the sax world, and are such a marketing ploy, that being the cynic I am, just ignore them. Someone else made a very similar claim to that just a few years ago. I'm not sure what ever happened to his line of saxes, or to his Mark VI he claims he sold, because this new line, which carried his name, was better. He used to be a very visible member in the on-line sax world...He's pretty much off the radar screen now. Perhaps he's too successful with his new saxes to participate, or perhaps he's just gone back to being a gigging musician, and no longer needs to participate because his marketing crashed and burned. I don't know. The point is, lots of guys have done this before, and lots of guys will do this in the future.

The good news, is there are lots of good saxophones to try out there. The bad news, is that getting to try them is not very easy, because they are not very accessible. You can't just go to your local music store and pull one off the shelf.

Cool Reed Pipes: try before rejecting

I sent Gwen an email asking specifically about saxophone-shaped objects coming from China that were difficult to play, harder to tune and impossible to repair. He said that although his do in fact come from China, he sets up every one "personally" and reminded me of his 30-day return policy.

If half of what he claims is true, it might be worthwhile to try one of his horns before rejecting it out of hand.

Back
Top Bottom