Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

ebay ranting

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
My other hobby is repairing vintage computer keyboards. (If you prefer, just say pre-1995 keyboards.) After I repair a keyboard, if it's not something I really, really like, I just sell it. I do all of my selling and most of my buying on ebay. I buy and sell two to four things a month. I'm not incredibly high-volume.

I attempted to sell daughter 2.0's iPhone on ebay, as she got a new one for Christmas. I set up the auction as normal and almost immediately got a bid ... from a user with zero feedback. I've sold stuff to people with zero feedback, so I didn't think much of it. Then I started getting more 0 feedback bids. And bidding wars between them. The phone sold to one of these folks with 0 feedback. Who never paid. Yay.

I found out that ebay does not have a feature to block bidders with X amount of feedback. So, five days later, I relisted the phone. I clearly posted that I'd cancel all 0 feedback bids. I had to cancel two bidders. The iPhone sold and was paid for. It went for about $130 less than the first time I posted it.

I also sold a computer (old laptops/luggables can have nice keyboards) to a member with 900-ish positive feedback. Never paid. After a week or so, I asked ebay to cancel the bid so I could relist it. I haven't sold yet.

I sold a keyboard to another member with 35-ish feedback. Almost a month later, he gave me "neutral feedback" with the reason given as "case is not ..." and that was it. User wouldn't return my ebay messages. So, I've put in a ticket for ebay to remove that feedback.

The bad thing in all of these instances is that I wasn't allowed to leave negative feedback for these "people." That's not very fair. The buyer should take some responsibility.

I like ThinkPad keyboards with the 'eraser head' in the middle. That way, I can move the cursor without taking my hands out of the typing position.

I disliked it when I bought my first ThinkPad (IBM) decades ago. It only had the eraser head, and not a trackpad or wheel. I got used to it, and later when I bought a newer ThinkPad with the trackpad, I found it easier to use the eraser head. I keep a mouse nearby, but probably use the eraser head 90% of the time.

But that's off-topic.

I've never had a problem with eBay.

I've only sold a few things on it, though, perhaps a dozen.

Thanks, Pete. Next time I list something, I'll be more aware of a possible pitfall.

Notes ♫

There were three top-of-the-line mechanical keyboards made by IBM:

* Beamspring, 1971-1985. They'll set you back $2000 - $3500 for a moderately good restoration. They weigh 5kg / 11lbs or more, depending on how many keys. Metal case.
* IBM Model F capacitive buckling springs, 1981-1984. They'll set you back $250-$1000, depending on condition and model. They weigh around 3kg / 6.6lbs or more. Metal bottom case.
* IBM Model M non-capacitive buckling springs, 1984 to present. These were made by IBM, which then sold the tooling to Lexmark, which then sold the tooling to Unicomp. They'll set you back $100-$1000, depending on condition and model. They weigh around 2kg / 4.4lbs or more. ABS case.

Note that some Model Ms were made with your standard, every-day, rubber domes. That's a good reason to check the model number.

Note that all of the above, except for recent Unicomp-made keyboards, will need an adapter or converter to work with a modern computer.

The keyboard that has been voted the worst IBM ever made was the one that came with the PCjr.

There are a few other common-ish models of IBM keyboards, but they aren't made by IBM. As an example, the IBM luggable laptop that's about a foot away from me has a keyboard made by Alps Electric.

There are a couple of projects out there to make modern versions of both the Beamspring and capacitive Buckling Spring keyboards. The former should be available by the end of the year, COVID not withstanding, and will be $500-$600, depending on options. The capacitive BS keyboard is already available and costs $355+.

All of the above keyboards are considered by many to be the best keyboards ever, generally in the order I've presented. I've worked on a couple Model Fs and a lot of Model Ms. They're not quite my cup of tea. The Beamspring has been out of my price-range, but I am planning on getting one of the new models. Maybe after the early adopters try them first :D.

Reactions: JfW
There were three top-of-the-line mechanical keyboards made by IBM:

* Beamspring, 1971-1985. They'll set you back $2000 - $3500 for a moderately good restoration. They weigh 5kg / 11lbs or more, depending on how many keys. Metal case.
* IBM Model F capacitive buckling springs, 1981-1984. They'll set you back $250-$1000, depending on condition and model. They weigh around 3kg / 6.6lbs or more. Metal bottom case.
* IBM Model M non-capacitive buckling springs, 1984 to present. These were made by IBM, which then sold the tooling to Lexmark, which then sold the tooling to Unicomp. They'll set you back $100-$1000, depending on condition and model. They weigh around 2kg / 4.4lbs or more. ABS case.

Note that some Model Ms were made with your standard, every-day, rubber domes. That's a good reason to check the model number.

Note that all of the above, except for recent Unicomp-made keyboards, will need an adapter or converter to work with a modern computer.

The keyboard that has been voted the worst IBM ever made was the one that came with the PCjr.

There are a few other common-ish models of IBM keyboards, but they aren't made by IBM. As an example, the IBM luggable laptop that's about a foot away from me has a keyboard made by Alps Electric.

There are a couple of projects out there to make modern versions of both the Beamspring and capacitive Buckling Spring keyboards. The former should be available by the end of the year, COVID not withstanding, and will be $500-$600, depending on options. The capacitive BS keyboard is already available and costs $355+.

All of the above keyboards are considered by many to be the best keyboards ever, generally in the order I've presented. I've worked on a couple Model Fs and a lot of Model Ms. They're not quite my cup of tea. The Beamspring has been out of my price-range, but I am planning on getting one of the new models. Maybe after the early adopters try them first :D.
man ... and I threw mine out a long time ago.
I nearly bought one off ebay for $250 probably 15 years ago. LOL I probably bought a french horn instead.

The interesting thing is that, minus a few things that are extremely rare, new custom-made keyboards can cost a lot more than any vintage keyboard. You can buy gold-plated cases, expensive keycap sets (those are the things with the legends; qwerty, etc.), aviator keyboard cables, and lots of RGB lighting.

man ... and I threw mine out a long time ago.
I nearly bought one off ebay for $250 probably 15 years ago. LOL I probably bought a french horn instead.
The old IBM Beamsprings were huuuuge and there are many, many stories from folks saying that they threw them out.

BTW, you could get a Beamspring with a solenoid. Turn that volume up to 11!

The interesting thing is that, minus a few things that are extremely rare, new custom-made keyboards can cost a lot more than any vintage keyboard. You can buy gold-plated cases, expensive keycap sets (those are the things with the legends; qwerty, etc.), aviator keyboard cables, and lots of RGB lighting.

The old IBM Beamsprings were huuuuge and there are many, many stories from folks saying that they threw them out.

BTW, you could get a Beamspring with a solenoid. Turn that volume up to 11!
my kids have some lighted mechanical keyboards that they use,
oh and of course I use one of their old HP OMEN laptops with their fancy red lighted keyboard (but horrible tactile-less feel) for my Zwifting.

Fun fact: Although I have been using computers for 25+ years, I had never heard of "mechanical" keyboards until I was talking with Pete a few years ago.

Because I moved my Dell laptop out of my office temporarily and have it set up on a desk upstairs, I connected a very nice Dell SK-8135 that we got around 2004. It has hardly been used, and still looks and behaves like new. Given it clicks a bit like a mechanical keyboard, I did look it up, but apparently it is a membrane-style board.

Who knew? Not me.

Not only has Pete taught me about vintage saxophones, he has taught me about vintage computer keyboards. Pete is my renaissance guy. :emoji_wink: :emoji_nerd: :emoji_laughing:

I grew up with IBM Selectric typewriters with the ball typing element and that fast reaction keyboard.
I then graduated to using an Apple //e Computer and a Silver-reed daisy wheel printer, with tractor feed. At UM at the time you were required to use a typewriter for english papers so all the computer room Macs with the old buzzy ImageWriters dot matrix weren't allowed. I started a School Papers business with that.

My //e I had a CP/M card and Wordstar and some other "new" desktop publishing software I can't recall the name of.
The ][+ and //e keyboards weren't too bad if I recall. But the IBMs at the time had some nice keyboards.
I have MS Word for DOS too somewhere .. you press the Esc key to get the menu .. the beginning of the end of the world ....

Last edited:
I used to use ebay quite a bit and then I heard that it was bought by a PRC company and then I had too many things that I didn't receive and they dramatically reduced the time period you could complain so effectively there was no insurance. They're in the rear view mirror. Too bad it was handy. Now I see that prices seem to have jumped.

I used to use ebay quite a bit and then I heard that it was bought by a PRC company and then I had too many things that I didn't receive and they dramatically reduced the time period you could complain so effectively there was no insurance. They're in the rear view mirror. Too bad it was handy. Now I see that prices seem to have jumped.
Do you have any references to that of which you "heard" ?
I owned stock in eBay for many years.
It was started in 1995ish in San Jose, California.
eBay fees have "jumped" over the years. I certainly noticed it even before they bought Paypal, and subsequently when Carl iCahn came in and separated the two organizations.

They expanded to China for selling in 2002 but pulled out in 2007. Due to Chinese LAW at that time a company operating in China needed to be and owned company in China as a "partner". You may be confused about that. I worked in automotive and I was tasked with helping start a Chinese manufacturing plant, and thus had to follow Chinese Laws.

And of course, Chinese products have flooded eBay.
But I don't have any information, since it is publicly traded and that information is available, as owned by China or Taiwan. Since they are publicly traded, a country or an organization in that country can own eBay stock.
eBay1.jpg

eBay2.jpg

Fun fact: Although I have been using computers for 25+ years, I had never heard of "mechanical" keyboards until I was talking with Pete a few years ago.

Because I moved my Dell laptop out of my office temporarily and have it set up on a desk upstairs, I connected a very nice Dell SK-8135 that we got around 2004. It has hardly been used, and still looks and behaves like new. Given it clicks a bit like a mechanical keyboard, I did look it up, but apparently it is a membrane-style board.

Who knew? Not me.

Not only has Pete taught me about vintage saxophones, he has taught me about vintage computer keyboards. Pete is my renaissance guy. :emoji_wink: :emoji_nerd: :emoji_laughing:
Dell mechanical keyboards were made only until 1998 or very slightly thereafter. As kind of a rule of thumb, if it's labeled "Dell" and doesn't have Windows keys, it's mechanical.

I found out about mechanical keyboards only 5 or so years ago. I don't remember exactly why I bought one, but I probably got fed up with my Apple Aluminum Keyboard and was browsing for something new and/or interesting on the Internets. My interest in vintage keyboard repairing is only a couple years old. I do computer security, so it's kinda fun to do something with your hands after doing "virtual" work all day.

I started playing sax in high school. As I was playing bari and really disliked the (Selmer USA) Bundy my school had, I bought a very good condition Keilwerth-made Bundy. I also bought a Buffet Dynaction alto at about the same time. My sax instructor had a Selmer Mark VI soprano, alto, and tenor, too. I also have a relative who was a school band director and occasionally gave me old instruments. This predated the Internets by a few years, so no ebay or Craig's List.

I think I am a Renaissance guy. I often feel like I'm over 500 years old.

I grew up with IBM Selectric typewriters with the ball typing element and that fast reaction keyboard.
I then graduated to using an Apple //e Computer and a Silver-reed daisy wheel printer, with tractor feed. At UM at the time you were required to use a typewriter for english papers so all the computer room Macs with the old buzzy ImageWriters dot matrix weren't allowed. I started a School Papers business with that.

My //e I had a CP/M card and Wordstar and some other "new" desktop publishing software I can't recall the name of.
The ][+ and //e keyboards weren't too bad if I recall. But the IBMs at the time had some nice keyboards.
I have MS Word for DOS too somewhere .. you press the Esc key to get the menu .. the beginning of the end of the world ....
The 1st generation Selectric also used the buckling springs found on the Model M keyboard. Some people buy Selectrics just to turn them into computer keyboards. The Apple II (as in the entire model range) had a bunch of different switches. The Apple IIc, specifically, had a couple models with relatively valuable switches and some models had very valuable switches.

Dell mechanical keyboards were made only until 1998 or very slightly thereafter. As kind of a rule of thumb, if it's labeled "Dell" and doesn't have Windows keys, it's mechanical.

I found out about mechanical keyboards only 5 or so years ago. I don't remember exactly why I bought one, but I probably got fed up with my Apple Aluminum Keyboard and was browsing for something new and/or interesting on the Internets. My interest in vintage keyboard repairing is only a couple years old. I do computer security, so it's kinda fun to do something with your hands after doing "virtual" work all day.

I started playing sax in high school. As I was playing bari and really disliked the (Selmer USA) Bundy my school had, I bought a very good condition Keilwerth-made Bundy. I also bought a Buffet Dynaction alto at about the same time. My sax instructor had a Selmer Mark VI soprano, alto, and tenor, too. I also have a relative who was a school band director and occasionally gave me old instruments. This predated the Internets by a few years, so no ebay or Craig's List.

I think I am a Renaissance guy. I often feel like I'm over 500 years old.
I used to have a handful of those pre 98 Dell keyboards. Love them, until I realized .. I don't need a stack of keyboards with only 2 hands. They did come in handy when I had my own computer center in my basement used for software development and multi-user database file/record locking testing requiring multiple computers on a Netware network and NT network back in the day.

My High School was pretty cool. All the school saxes were Couf Superba 1 & 2 horns.

Back in the day when the Newspapers Classified section was the "internet" ... people who lived further away even conversed through a section of the newspaper, which everyone could read.
I still recall seeing Selmer mk IV, V, VI saxes for sale. I always thought Selmer had a line of instruments, not simply typos. I talked to a few people that had VIs, though avoided the 4s and 5s ...
My High School private teacher had a regular, then a Black-Gold Couf Superba 1 alto.
I had my Royalist II, then a mk VII .. which was one more than 6 ... so 'ya know .... it had to be better.

Back
Top Bottom