Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Flash Mob: Get your band out there

While I think the flash mob is a kewl idea -- there are quite a few choral ones out there too -- I do worry a bit about legality. You generally need a permit for "large gatherings" or simply "busking." If you do it in a mall or something like that, the building owner could also get annoyed.

It's also probably really hard to conceal a a harp and tympani ....

While I think the flash mob is a kewl idea -- there are quite a few choral ones out there too -- I do worry a bit about legality. You generally need a permit for "large gatherings" or simply "busking." If you do it in a mall or something like that, the building owner could also get annoyed.
Basically such "performances" are covered by the freedom of speech and the freedom of assembly. Every orchestra keeps records of each piece they performed in public so that the owners get their royalties. And in most cases the performances are short enough as not to annoy the owners (who owns the food court in a mall? Who owns a place in a pedestrian zone?) too much.

I think we (otherwise law-abiding-tax-paying citizens) should occasionally use (and maybe stretch a bit) the little elbow room we have left. No harm is done, no traffic stalled, no windows smashed.

It's also probably really hard to conceal a a harp and tympani ....

I don't think you'd need to worry. Most people just glance, lots of musicians moving instruments, and once the performace starts, it's obvious what's happening as the other performaers rock up....

Back
Top Bottom