Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

"For Sale" Discussion and Clarification

Great forum so far. Many of us have deep experience in the operation of internet forums. There is one aspect that I do not know if it has been outlined, regarding forum policy.

Let me preface first that I have no objections whatsoever to the person being quoted or the practice of using forums for the purposes of commerce, just that my experience with the consequences of competing commercial entities in a discussion forum would be that relationships and honest evaluations of hardware matters can become polluted by the results of commerce.

Look for a used Yanagisawa S6. That's the sop they copied from the Mk VI. You can often find them pretty cheap. I sold one to a former Humber student about 3 years ago now.

I know we have one waiting to be prepped at Cosmo. Give me a call.

Is there a planned approach to dealing with the problems that can stem from doing commerce on your forum?

Re: WF's Plain and simple rules

We're pretty much going on the buddy system on this sort of stuff.

We have an area for For Sale items but in this case it was just an off handed remark. I made a similar one not too long ago about a bari and Pete ended up buying it. Basically, if it's brought to the attention of the staff and we feel someone is abusing the system we will nicely deal with them one on one. I'm o.k. with people mentioning that they have a Meyer available if it fits in with the thread. I'm not o.k. with people listing multiple mouthpieces for sale or horns or anything else as that wouldn't really fit with the flow of the conversation.

Those are my thoughts today. As things continue to progress we may have to alter our thoughts. Someone may convince me that I/the team are taking the wrong approach.

It's a very good point to bring up and I hope that I've added some clarity. If not, feel free to ask anything else.

Fair enough. I respect the admin and ownership team as a group who has experience in these matters, I just didn't any formal language regarding this. We all know where it can lead and I trust you guys to do your best for the community.

Toby,

No worries. I really appreciate the question because it's been something we've been wrestling with. If you have any specific advice I'd be more than happy to listen. Just send me a PM.

Thanks,

Ed

I think Pete's better off with it. The spacing of the keys would not have been as friendly to a young person as Pete's big hands. I'm telling you he needs your Yani. I don't think you could find a better horn than the Yani's on bari.

Well the shipping might have been steep too. I'll probably get Nicky a used instrument. No one gets my Yani 991 bari, it's my baby. But Nicky will have to start figuring out if he really wants to pursue music before I'll spring for some serious hornage.

An older B-6 would be nice. Great horns.

Toby said:
Great forum so far. Many of us have deep experience in the operation of internet forums. There is one aspect that I do not know if it has been outlined, regarding forum policy.

Let me preface first that I have no objections whatsoever to the person being quoted or the practice of using forums for the purposes of commerce, just that my experience with the consequences of competing commercial entities in a discussion forum would be that relationships and honest evaluations of hardware matters can become polluted by the results of commerce.

Look for a used Yanagisawa S6. That's the sop they copied from the Mk VI. You can often find them pretty cheap. I sold one to a former Humber student about 3 years ago now.

I know we have one waiting to be prepped at Cosmo. Give me a call.

Is there a planned approach to dealing with the problems that can stem from doing commerce on your forum?

Interesting points.

I hadn't even really thought about the commercial aspect of this.

In this particular case, since I know the original question came from someone who studies within in 5 km of my house, I knew I was in a position to help her out by giving some concrete info.

I'm going to seek some clarification from the admins on this issue before using the forum to aid the business that I work for again.

Ed, Peter, Jim?

honestly, man. I mean nothing by it at all regarding what you do and have to offer. This is more about not letting history repeat itself than anything.

I would like a way for you to offer the way you did without the whole thing turning into a mess because of competition. I want you to be able to work a deal and I certainly want a guy who need a sop to get a horn.

Hey, Merlin! I drove past someone that was from Merlin, Canada today and I thought of you.

There are a couple of points that should be addressed.

First, the "for sale" area, there have been some legal concerns regarding ads placed and it's just not something we want to worry about, thus that area's got some very specific language that you can merely post a link to an ad you've created elsewhere. That way, Ed really has zero liability. The rules for that area may change in the future.

Second, I, personally, don't have any business ties, but I do have some instruments that I'm quite fond of. So, if I think that horn X is something that fulfills the requirement of a particular person and know where one's for sale, I'll try to be helpful and say, "Hey! I know where one's for sale!"

Merlin, I tend to doubt that you are going to be posting something to the effect of, "... And that's why the Bundy II alto sax is the best horn EVAR. By the way, we've got them on sale for $5,000 at my store." (Well, at least I HOPE you're not going to post something like that :p.) However, if I do see someone posting stuff like that, I'll have a nice one-on-one chat with him.

Again, I refer back to Ed's comment, above: if it's in the natural flow of a thread where someone asks about a product and you can comment that you know where a particular product is, I have no problems with the mention. If some decides to register two accounts here for the sole purpose of havening one account to ask where to find a product and another account to say where to find that product or if someone just starts posting in random threads that he's got something for sale, I'll have a problem with that person and have a little chat with him (re: spamming the forum). I think this may be a real concern of some, so I'll mention it, specifically.

(And I wrote that before Toby posted. I'm psychotic.)

If anyone has a problem with any post, please click on the
icon_post_report.gif
icon and we'll address it. Or send one or all of us on the admin team a Private Message or E-mail.

pete said:
Hey, Merlin! I drove past someone that was from Merlin, Canada today and I thought of you.

How the heck did you discern that?

Merlin is a small town in Ontartio, near the Detroit/Windsor area.

Bumper sticker: "I'm from Merlin, Canada".

Or you can just continue to think I'm psychotic. Your choice :).

I'm in Arizona. This was in a parking lot and I'd say that EVERY Canadian "province" was represented, save maybe Yukon and Quebec.

And it was rainy and cold yesterday. Enjoy that vacation, folks!

Official clarification being posted to the rules thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom