Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Fun With Piwigo Gallery

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
The other night, I decided I wanted to add some pics to my neglected pic gallery. I signed in OK. That's about it, though:

* I went to the section of the gallery to add albums. There was an odd album with bunches of odd characters in it. I tried to delete and got fun SQL error messages.
* I tried adding some pics with Piwigo's little upload application. It finds my gallery ... but doesn't show any albums.

Deep sigh.

Well, I might as well take care of any possible back-end database corruption by deleting that oddly named album, then run a database repair. OK. Let's try uploading pics again. Nope.

The next thing is to turn off all custom plug-ins and revert to the standard theme. I can now upload stuff, but the user-end looks absolutely terrible. So, time to start adding one customization after another until I hit the one that breaks everything. Found it. Deleted it. However, the user-end still looks ugly. I switch back to my old theme. Still ugly. I hit the "revert to defaults" button on the theme. Still ugly. I remove the theme and reinstall. Better.

I then add a few pics. Hmm. The "full size" button's not working and the page formatting's still way off -- like 6" of blank space at the bottom of the page. OK. So, disable and delete the theme and the three plug-ins that work with it. I download and install the newest theme from Piwigo.org. Much better.

Well, that killed a couple hours. I sometimes wish I had my own tech support guy.

Yup.

I get home at 5p, plus or minus only a couple minutes. I then get food and blow off some steam for a bit. Call that 6p. Then, doggies need walkies. Then I go to bed around 9p, or even earlier. (I have to get up for work at quarter to 5a.) So, I generally can sit down and do one thing for an hour to an hour and 1/2. In this instance, it was me having to fix the server.

In my day job and over here, I'm fairly good at maintaining things. I'm not good at doing that on my own websites. I don't exactly know why.

Anyhow, I've also had cluster headaches for almost three weeks, now. (Cluster headaches are migraine-type headaches that happen in a series and for a length of time, that's why the word "cluster" is used. They also are more painful than normal migraines, but don't necessarily last for hours.) So, that day was that the one time I felt mildly good enough to fool around in a couple weeks, rather than hold my head in my hands and read.

Back
Top Bottom