Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

G. Rudolf Uebel clarinet

Hello, I have a G. Rudolf uebel wooden German system clarinet and I want to know if it's good in general. I bought it for 550€ and I want to know if I got "scammed". I can't find a lot of info on the internet so it's time to ask here. The seller said that he bought it for 1000€, could that be true? Was it ever a good clarinet? Estimated price? Were the clarinets of this brand good or bad in general?

Attachments

• αρχείο λήψης.jpeg
    αρχείο λήψης.jpeg
    8 KB · Views: 122
  • αρχείο λήψης (1).jpeg
    αρχείο λήψης (1).jpeg
    10.3 KB · Views: 102
Uebel is one of those names that is attached to a prominent family, the brothers of which started God knows how many companies. Kind of like how there's a Selmer USA and a Selmer Paris, there's a million distinct brands called Wurlitzer (most prominently the pianos and the high end clarinets...). Similarly, there are several Uebel families that build clarinets. I would think that F. A. Uebel is probably the more noteworthy brand, and I would hold their current clarinets up with the best handmade instruments in the world right now.

G. Rudolph Uebel is no longer a current maker, as far as I'm aware. I don't think their instruments were "lesser" than F. A. Uebel back in the day, they just were a little more conservative in their designs. I have a few G. Rudolph Uebels in my collection, and I am fond of them.

I couldn't really give your instrument a value, as I don't deal in German clarinets often enough right now and I don't know what the Euro market is like, but I would guess (it's only a guess) that you have an upper-intermediate or entry level professional instrument on your hands. And the thing doesn't look too ancient. Make sure you have a barrel and a bell... I don't see one with your pictures, and it might be difficult/expensive to find a properly fitted barrel and bell for the instrument.

Uebel is one of those names that is attached to a prominent family, the brothers of which started God knows how many companies. Kind of like how there's a Selmer USA and a Selmer Paris, there's a million distinct brands called Wurlitzer (most prominently the pianos and the high end clarinets...). Similarly, there are several Uebel families that build clarinets. I would think that F. A. Uebel is probably the more noteworthy brand, and I would hold their current clarinets up with the best handmade instruments in the world right now.

G. Rudolph Uebel is no longer a current maker, as far as I'm aware. I don't think their instruments were "lesser" than F. A. Uebel back in the day, they just were a little more conservative in their designs. I have a few G. Rudolph Uebels in my collection, and I am fond of them.

I couldn't really give your instrument a value, as I don't deal in German clarinets often enough right now and I don't know what the Euro market is like, but I would guess (it's only a guess) that you have an upper-intermediate or entry level professional instrument on your hands. And the thing doesn't look too ancient. Make sure you have a barrel and a bell... I don't see one with your pictures, and it might be difficult/expensive to find a properly fitted barrel and bell for the instrument.
Thanks for the reply I have a bell and a barrel (with an adapter for pickup). My problem is that some people in other forums said that this clarinet is a sh*t intermediate and it might not even worth 550€. In google I can't find anything.

Attachments

• IMG_20220814_111438.jpg
    IMG_20220814_111438.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 107
I have a G. Rudolph Uebel Boehm system clarinet which I restored a while back. I would say that the build quality and fit and finish are excellent but the performance and intonation are at best mediocre. Based on a sample of 1 I wouldn't care to repeat the experience.

These are the ones that are considered low quality, from what I was able to Google. Note how the keywork looks. "Pressed" was one description I saw. While my example is Boehm system, I'd assume that "low quality" would refer to any G. Uebel that has the same style keywork.

Again, that's just from Googling. I'm in no way an expert on this make.

Back
Top Bottom