Help

I don't know if it's happened to anyone else but while I'm playing I can't feel the reed, it's like I'm blowing empty, I can't feel the reed vibrating.
do you have any advice?

If this happened suddenly, you may have had a stroke or developed Bell's palsy and should see a doctor. But if you're a beginner, this is normal since most of the vibrations are at the tip where you aren't touching the reed.

35 years of playing experience and I've never felt the reed vibrating. Any chance you could sit with an instructor or friend who is a good player and suss out what's going on? Even if you only take one or two lessons, the benefit can be huge. Report back please.

If at one time you could feel the reed vibrate, and now can no longer feel it, I agree with BarrySachs. See a doctor.

If I pay attention to it, I can feel the reed vibrate, but more often than not, I'm in the zone where I feel the music flowing through me, instead of from me.

I play mainly tenor sax, and I do like to feel the horn vibrate in my hands, again, if I pay attention to it.

Notes ♫

35 years of playing experience and I've never felt the reed vibrating. Any chance you could sit with an instructor or friend who is a good player and suss out what's going on? Even if you only take one or two lessons, the benefit can be huge. Report back please.
I discovered that I was tightening too much and the reed wasn't able to vibrate well, this combined with a closed mouthpiece and light reeds didn't help

There was a time when I played a more closed mouthpiece and a harder reed. I actually liked to feel the horn vibrate in my hands as well as the reed on my lip.

But those days are gone. I don't need the volume anymore. I find a wide tip opening and a softer reed gives me more variations of the sounds I can produce on the sax, and I like to express myself that way.

Back
Top Bottom