HERE'S a Bass for Ed to Buy!

I'm looking at the "Buy it Now" price.

FWIW, and I mentioned it to the person that e-mailed this to me, the price is low (very low, for Quinn :)) because of the modifications. Yes, the low G is kewl 'n' stuff, but that and the accompanying keywork, is hardly original. I bet someone would say, "It don't play like no True Tone" and that could be a dealbreaker (besides, Quinn's got a much prettier gold-plated Artist's Special Conn for $12K -- although it's probably *not* a better player).

He's got three basses for sale. Hey, Gandalfe: tell him to take a pic of all three for the calendar before he sells 'em!

Further, I *think* the low G extension is like what Conn did on the 11M: they lopped off the bell of a 12M, stuck a *straight* bit of tubing in and replaced the bell a little higher: voila, a low A. The reason why I think this is the case on this bass is because of where the engraving is. I could be wrong: I don't have a good picture of the entire bell.

This is one of the areas where "unwritten history" would be nice to know, but (alas) it is forever gone.

We know a lot about the stuff supported by writing (where it exists), such as sales figures and patent records, but surprisingly little about how things like this modification were done. People were too busy making it happen to bother with writing it down, and unless there was some subsequent reflection by the person who actually did the work (or some oral history done down the road and backed up with some cross referencing of similar accounts), the actual process is long time gone, never to be recovered.

We know more about the Roman's extermination of some peoples than we do about how they (to be crude) wiped their asses. Strange. Of course, with the advent of 24/7 (as the kids say) photojournalism and persistent media, we now know way too much about how some people do some things. Better late than never.

Having said that, we still don't completely understand Selmer serial numbers. There's still room for improvement.

Thanks, Jim. 'Preciate that. If nothing else, Quinn's got some exceptional horns.

> We know more about the Roman's extermination of some peoples than we do about how they (to be crude) wiped their asses.
Our Terry knows how to use a nice turn of phrase, doesn't he?

BTB, I'm one of the few people I know of that's under 60 that took 3 years of Latin in HS and two in college. My HS teacher probably could have answered this for you. I think he was around back then. (Actually, there's disagreement on the pronunciation of some Latin words/phrases. The only thing that we know for sure is that what you hear being sung and/or at a Roman Catholic Church isn't how the ancient Romans talked.)

I'm curious about the modification. I wonder who reworked this old beast. 10k seems pretty fair just for playabilities sake. I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!11111111

J'Elle Stainer in Brazil has made quite a few of these extensions to low G on tenors, baritones and basses. Here's their site:

http://www.below65-4hz.com/?Sc=N0002&Dtl=6

There is also an interesting new video there of Scott Robinson playing one of their new compact contrabass saxes. Video quality is very grainy but Scott plays very well on a strange horn. Go to the J'ELLE STAINER GALLERY page and click on the lower left for VIDEOS. It's the bottom video on the left.

Last edited:
Is it just me, or does the J'Elle Stainer website make you a bit crazy navigation-wise?

I seem to keep missing the revolving text on the left side that allows you into their photo gallery. I've ended up seeing the German Messe pics so many times...:-( My clicking finger seems to be slow I guess...

Back
Top Bottom