Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Interesting A. Sax on eBay

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
It's sold already. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADOLPHE-SAX...30xx-Needs-Complete-Restoration-/151002352292. I've included a pic of the engraving, because the ad will go *poof* in a week or two.

I'm fairly sure that it's an AE Sax made a little before 1900. I date it as such because of the gold medal that AE Sax got in 1900 then plastered that on all his subsequent horns. I'm also fairly sure the address engraved is "84 Rue Myrha," which should also = around 1900, but not much earlier.

Can anyone take a crack at the engraving that reads "[something] du Saxophone," please? I can't understand the first word.

Anyone else have a comment on the horn? I've not seen or heard of that engraving on any other AE Sax instrument.

Attachments

• a.JPG
    a.JPG
    639.9 KB · Views: 303
It reads "Adolphe Sax Inventeur du Saxophone" translation: Adolphe Sax Inventor of the Saxophone. A little high school French goes a long way.

...and, to be complete, it also says: Fournisseur de l'Academie royale de musique, i.e., of course, Supplier of the Royal Academy for Music and, the address , as you said, 84, Rue Myrha, Paris.
J

Well, on second reading and historical remembrence, little correction: 1900, France was a Republic and thus the Académie de Musique was not royale but nationale (abbreviated Nle on the sax).
And this even if a French republic is a bit like a royalty elsewhere.
J

Back
Top Bottom