James Houlik

Ed

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
I haven't heard another classical tenor player even remotely approach the artistry of James Houlik. His tone is amazing and he has fabulous technique.

When I think of Rascher I tend to think of his alto playing and his soprano. I don't think I've ever heard him on tenor. If someone has a recording they want to point me towards then I'll give it a listen. Obviously James Houlik comes out of the Rascher school but he's put his own twist on it.

Well, you didn't specify "just tenor" :p.

I can't think of another classical player "known" for playing classical tenor. I know of several in quartets 'n' stuff, but it's more the quartet that's known, not the individual player.

There isn't really anyone who is as good on tenor as Houlik. It's his specialty and I'm not sure I've ever heard of him playing alto. He does come out of the Rascher school, but his technique and sound are very different than most Rascher players. I'm not even sure that Rascher himself was as good on tenor because he never recorded on it.

Now, if only someone would do for bari what he's done for tenor...

Sorry. Booked solid for the next few weeks. Besides, I'd have to get Ed to send me a bari.

I told you I have a French Vito for cheap. All you have to do is ask for specifics. It's even a Low A. Must be rare.

Back
Top Bottom