Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Low Bb is floppy

Thought someone might know and save some time in the shop for the Alto Sax.

When I play a low B the Bb pad can flop closed at the slightest provication. I checked the two springs attached to the Bb key and they both "seem" fine. Anyone experience this, any thoughts?

I think I can help with that. First lay the sax on its side with the bell keys facing up with the bow on your right side. Then locate the the small post (spring cradle) that the spring that keeps the low Bb key open attaches to. There should be only one for that key.

When you have found it, look to see what side the spring is on. It should be on the side that is facing you. If it is on the opposite side, take a small crochet hook (#9) and pull the spring so it is on the side facing you. Then try the key. The spring should just barely be strong enough to overcome gravity and keep the low Bb key open. If it does not, it needs adjustment.

To adjust the spring is easy. Unhook it from the cradle. Then with a pencil with the tip broken off or something similar, push the spring away from you to bend it back slightly. Don't go too far! Then try the spring again. Keep bending the spring back until it just keeps the key open. If you make a mistake and bend the spring too far and make it too stiff, then simply use your spring (crochet) hook and pull it toward you to take some of the curve out.

Good luck. A "real" spring hook can be purchased at musicmedic.com

John

Awesome, I'll give it a go, sounds like it should work to me. I know the spring is on the correct side as you explained (good to know that's the cirrect side) so now it's just a little bending to do.

I messed with the spring and still couldn't get it to work right, so I did drop by Scott the tech and he pointed out the spring had lost its... spring. Fixed it up and I was good to go. I also tested out a P. Mauriat Alto while I waited wich played very nicely.

Back
Top Bottom