Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

New Alto Clarinet

This is really so cool.

I had someone locate and overhaul a Selmer Alto clarinet. I am trying to learn a bit about its history but that is slow in coming. The horn is beautiful. The wood is wonderful. The pinch B flat is not wonderful but I think that has a lot to do with the design of the horn as opposed top a mechanical problem.

I was hoping that someone out there might have some information for me.

I was wondering if there is a stand just for alto clarinets. Most I see seem to be multifunctional.

Is there a good mouthpiece for an alto? Mine came with a Vandoren B40, which seems awful yet I am a Vandoren fan. (I play a 5 RV Lyre on my bFlat)

ANY help appreciated. This is new world for me.

https://www.woodwindforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/help-us-to-help-you.21021. Selmer clarinets have been produced for a long, long time. You need to be more specific. That link will help us to help you.

Here's the alto clarinet stand that our old friend Terry would suggest. Yes, I'm joking, but that really is the stand Terry would recommend. The stand I used with my bass clarinet, when I played one, was my baritone sax stand.

The Vandoren B40 is a pretty decent mouthpiece. I'd only try something else if you find you really don't like the B40. If you don't, see if there's a woodwind dealer near you. Call and ask if they don't mind you coming over to try some mouthpieces. Buy from them if they have something you like.

Pete, I wanted to thank you for taking the time to respond. Love the clarinet stand you suggested but it will be a problem if I try to use it indoors.

Stay well.

And I thank you for putting up with my humor. ;)

I actually don't have a problem with alto clarinets. My stance has always been that if that's what gets you into music and/or keeps you there, that's fantastic. I just want to see more musicians. From an orchestral or band point of view, though, note that the alto clarinet is almost always going to play a part doubling some other instrument -- and most orchestras don't even have alto clarinet players. In Terry's case, and IIRC, he played an alto clarinet pitched in A or D and the horn had open holes, rather than filled. That's a monster to play, even if you have big hands.

It's interesting. My love of the alto clarinet came from being in the junior band in high school. Sadly, I gave it up for along time but discovering it again is lovely.

I forgot to mention that you help me help you link is very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom