Pete's Yani Page Rebuild #2: Write-Ups

I've found literally dozens of 800s misidentified as 880s. Not as many the other way around, though.

880, 8830, and 8833 section now updated on my blog.

... and I think I've disappointed a couple other people when I said their B-800s/880s were B-6s. Sorry about that, folks.

FWIW, I really do think that the B-800 and/or B-880 were probably complete custom jobs. I do think that the B-6 design also evolved quite a bit. I just wish I had more examples to look at.

Speaking of, I uploaded 2500 more Yani pics this weekend (well, according to the logs, at least). Enjoy. I'm working on the 900 write-up.

Well, as mentioned elsewhere, my Gallery's a little sick, at the moment. The repairs are kinda slow. However, I was also working on something else: reconciling all the Yanagisawa histories into a nice timeline. It's added to the top of this page. It's 558 lines long, so I think I've got a little bit of everything ....

I own a "first" generation T880 (with brass front F key and round F# trill key and round low C/Db keys, the later ones had a pearl front F, oval F# and oval low C/Db keys), so I'm guessing it's quite an early one, I'll send you the serial when I'm home. Another potential difference is the neck: mine does not have a strengthening bar over it... but maybe it was the same with the later T880s.
Cheers, M.

OK, not quite as old as I thought, the serial is 103950, so Pete's find is still the oldest 880!

I own a "first" generation T880 (with brass front F key and round F# trill key and round low C/Db keys, the later ones had a pearl front F, oval F# and oval low C/Db keys), so I'm guessing it's quite an early one, I'll send you the serial when I'm home. Another potential difference is the neck: mine does not have a strengthening bar over it... but maybe it was the same with the later T880s.
Cheers, M.

Also, as mentioned above, there are some 1980 horns that have serial numbers in the form of "xx80xxx." That's an interesting kicker!

Looking at my timeline, you can see how easy it is to get confused. As a good example, the S-880 was (almost) definitely released in 1985. People then conclude that all 880s were released in 1985. Yanagisawa doesn't like releasing all their pitches at once. Hey, most manufacturers used to release baritone models well after the new model got established.

Another reader sent me an Excel spreadsheet of a couple hundred sopranos. I haven't really looked at it yet -- still working on the Gallery -- which should give me a little more info on the soprano lines and some more serial number data, too.

I found a really neat website. It's in Russian, but if you use Chrome or Google Translate, you'll be OK: http://www.codamusic.ru/category.aspx?category=8400

The reason why it's neat is because you can go to, say the T-901 page, and you see a bunch of Yani's standard sales pics. Go to the second tab and see a video and Yan's oversized sales pic. The third tab shows you a bit of where the 901 fits in Yani's release scheme. The fourth tab is all of the fun Yani accessories available. The fifth tab is just a sample warranty tab. The sixth tab lists all the horn's parts and how much each costs. There's also a "Compare" link that can show you the differences between models.

Anyhow, check it out!

==============

Over the past few days, I've uploaded about 60 more Yani horns to my Piwigo picture gallery. Enjoy!

I really didn't like the "flat" format for the timeline I have on my website, so I decided to try some actual timeline software. Here's what I have so far. You might ask why I didn't use the same timeline provider I used in the past. Simple: they require a monthly fee. My old timelines were grandfathered in, but I can't add more.

Back
Top Bottom