Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Someone's New Bari...

Helen

Content Expert Saxophones
Staff member
Administrator
I believe one of our members is going to be getting a new, rather rare, baritone sax. I'm not saying anything more. This is just a tease, and a thread starter. I for one am most curious about the horn. I just love stuff like this! :cool:

OK, you've got me hooked.

The rarest production baritone sax that I'm aware of would be the curved horn from Pelisson (the horn might also be pitched in F, which also makes it very interesting).

There are a few one-off straight baritones, which would be considered rare.

Prototypes are rare, too. I've heard that there is a King Super 21 Silver-Sonic bari out there, somewhere, but I haven't been able to confirm one.

There are other production horns that were produced in a specific metal, plating or finish that would be considered quite rare, like Buescher's ONE set of sterling-silver True Tone or Aristocrat horns (don't remember off the top of my head which model).

A. Sax baris are rare, because of how many were produced and how few still exist, but I've seen and heard quite a few.

There are a few makes/models that are rare because of how few there were, like, say SML or a Buffet S1 Prestige in copper.

So, I'm intrigued ....

Canadian or Texan? The only other guess would be Gandalfe (not really a place but a state of mind).

It's me. I sold three really nice instruments to fund my Eppelsheim saxes, and then a new monstrosity became available. I'm praying for an accident-free delivery. When it happens, I'll post all the details and I'm already plotting a new Youtube video.

No new bari sax for me; my grandson quit band. I'm actually quite depressed about it as it was the only thing he showed promise in. I'll get over it I suppose.

I'm really sorry to hear that he quit Jim. That's a real shame. :-( He seems like a neat kid, so I hope he finds something to replace it with. Having a creative outlet that is time consuming, is a good way to keep youth engaged in activities that keep them safer from harm. I know if I had kids, I'd want mine doing something like music, but then I guess you could say I'm biased. ;-)

I'm really sorry to hear that he quit Jim. That's a real shame. :-( He seems like a neat kid, so I hope he finds something to replace it with. Having a creative outlet that is time consuming, is a good way to keep youth engaged in activities that keep them safer from harm. I know if I had kids, I'd want mine doing something like music, but then I guess you could say I'm biased. ;-)
I knew I should have never bought him that guitar. BTW, they teach guitar in his school.

I'm praying for an accident-free delivery.
We're all sending positve thoughts, energy, & prayers Randy. In the words of some Star Wars character whose name I can't remember...May the force be with you...Or in this case, the horn. :)

So, you bought Peter Nixon's straight bari? It's in my calendar for this month, ya know :).

This is rev. 2 of his straight bari stuff and Peter mentioned that he changed the layout of the bell keys from the first version to make it play a bit better.

Still an Amati bari, tho :).

Straight baritone saxophone

It arrived yesterday (Friday), and I picked it up today at the Miami airport. Customs officials were suspicious at first (They asked, "What would you use this instrument for? Classical music?") I told them it was basically a "show-biz gimmick."

It worked. I didn't pay any customs fees at all. Up until that point, they didn't know what to do with me. I really think everyone was trying to do their job well and I was the most unusual person in weeks.

Anyway, Peter Nixon's strange altered baritone sax plays very well. He constructed a magnificent case for the instrument that I'm proud to own. He is, after all, an engineer, and the case protects the horn like a bomb shelter. It's made from thick wood and weighs a lot but it does the job perfectly. The outside is covered like a pro case in naugahide and the inside is lined with plush yellow fur. I love it.

I usually don't have any interest in custom-made, one off saxophones. Collectors want mostly mass produced horns, but where else would you find a straight baritone sax?

Good to hear it arrived safe & sound Randy! Also good news you got a break on the customs fees.

It won't be long now, before we see some YouTube videos I hope. (Pardon the pun.)

Back
Top Bottom