Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

sore lip problem

.....The culprit? My fibracell reed had started delaminating seconds into the solo section, and by the time I was done, about 1 inch of the shiny underside had peeled away from the meat of the reed. I was lucky it had continued making sounds and not died completely.

I use Legere ... lol
but the Legere have a tendency to just kinda die too

I had a Legere split right down the middle lengthwise - from 1/4 inch in from the tip for about 3/4 inch - during a concert.

Disappointed in both, but when they aren't dieing, the fibracell were really nicely suited to my Dukoff.

I used to break reeds all the time in high school, but I think that was more related to me accidentally chewing on them than anything else.

On the embouchure, I always make sure the mpc is slightly pushing up against my top teeth (by strap tension, angle etc). This allows my lower jaw to create the correct embouchure. Many times people use their lower jaw to push the mouthpiece up to the top teeth, thus creating a biting problem from the start.

Carl - a Legere split right down the middle? At least they are quick to replace and play instantaneously.

I know I've said this before, I'm just not sure if I've said this here on the WF, so forgive me if I'm repeating myself... I'd been a loyal Fibracell user for over a decade. Like Carl, I loved the way the reeds worked in combination with my Dukoff. However, a few years ago the company changed their reeds, and IMHO they turned them into crap. The older, golden coloured reeds were wonderful. The newer, greyer coloured reeds don't last as long; sound significantly different; have a very different response; and all around were a huge disappointment. The new Premier versions were introduced at this same time, and I was not impressed by these reeds at all.

Finally in January this year I found a replacement. I switched to the Legere Signature reeds. Although they are significantly darker in sound to a good Fibracell, they have the same or even better response, and absolutely wonderful altissimo capabilities. In the past I had tried Legere reeds, including the Studio Cut variety, and was not a fan. However, the Signature series won me over. I've been playing the same 4 reeds in rotation since the beginning of the year, and have another 4 that I started in the rotation a few weeks ago. So far none of them have shown signs of crapping out.

The one thing I don't like about them is that their transparency makes them hard to line up well on the silver coloured mouthpieces. Oh, and the Legere fatigue factor is a bit a nuisance as well. However, I would say that's a small price to pay compared to the alternative.

I don't know why Fibracell changed their product. Perhaps their reeds were just too good, and people weren't buying enough. Perhaps they had to build in obsolescence quicker. Whatever the case, they lost a loyal customer who bought approximately 20 to 30 reeds a year over all the horns (soprano through bass) when I was working full time. I can't imagine I was the only one who got frustrated and switched.

The demyelination you mentioned Carl, was something that only happened to me on 2 reeds in over 10 years. But in both cases, I'd played the reeds for over a year. And in neither case, did it come off quickly or over a large area. It was a minor peel away.

What type of Legere spilt down the middle for you Carl?

Carl - a Legere split right down the middle? At least they are quick to replace and play instantaneously.

Both these reed failures were on tenor - 2 different saxes and 2 different mouthpieces too. Never had this issue on alto or on clarinet.

I also do the push the MP into the upper teeth thing on alto sax. Leaves the lower lip with more flexibility for intonation issues or bends.

Back
Top Bottom