Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Straight bari's

So this thought occurred to me today. Why are there no tenor shaped bari's? What I mean by this is a bari sax that doesn't have the top wrap. I could see it having some balance issues with the Low A making it really bell heavy but why not? There are a few straight bari's out there where the bell is straight, why not one with the top crook straight. Has anyone ever seen something along the lines of this? Another issue I could see would be it being too big for people that are on the smaller side. Would this tenor shaped bari have less resistance? I'm not sure why this came to mind but it seemed like a interesting thought and I thought I'd share.

Thanks
Dan

@jbtsax Any thoughts on this? IIRC you have spent some time studying the physics of bores.
@pete Have you come across anything like this in your travels? You tend to be the one who has seen the most in weird and wonderful saxophone land. ;)

As for me, the only alternate-shaped bari that I have seen is the Georgephone.

As for necks, then there is the Oleg gooseneck for baris. That however, does nothing for the horn itself. It only changes the existing neck for a tenor-shaped one.

I'm pretty sure there isn't one that doesn't have some kind of "wrap" at the top. Even the custom Buescher bari that was floating around for a while had the wrap. I have seen Bb tenors with alto shaped necks and ones with the "backwards C" neck that looks more-or-less like A Sax's patent drawing.

I don't know terribly much about bore design. I do know that some players that use straight (i.e. looks like a bass clarinet) contrabass clarinets sit on a stool so they can reach the mouthpiece. You have to stand to play a straight bari, anyway, so why not straighten out the wrap, too? My opinion is that the straight baris, excepting the Georgeophones, were converted from existing baris and it's just easier to straighten out the bell and bow than the wrap.

I wrote an article about the Georgeophones on my neglected blog ... 7 years ago :D. A lot of it's from an article on a French website that I translated and transliterated.

So this thought occurred to me today. Why are there no tenor shaped bari's? What I mean by this is a bari sax that doesn't have the top wrap. I could see it having some balance issues with the Low A making it really bell heavy but why not? There are a few straight bari's out there where the bell is straight, why not one with the top crook straight. Has anyone ever seen something along the lines of this? Another issue I could see would be it being too big for people that are on the smaller side. Would this tenor shaped bari have less resistance? I'm not sure why this came to mind but it seemed like a interesting thought and I thought I'd share.

Thanks
Dan

Yamaha has an digital Saxophone that plays over 50 different Sax sounds which is a straight bari. :)
Yamaha YDS-150 Digital Saxophone

Yamaha has an digital Saxophone that plays over 50 different Sax sounds which is a straight bari. :)
Yamaha YDS-150 Digital Saxophone
Mannnn. I'm not a fan of those digital saxes. They're a cool idea and I know some people love them but it kind of defeats the purpose of playing a sax to me. Some of the fun in playing vintage saxes is learning they're little quirks. Each horn has personality and attitude. Those things have none of that.

@SaxinDC , I think that the Yamaha digital sax and other wind controllers are kind of a stretch in this thread, because this thread is really in regard to the design of an acoustic instrument. That being said, I would encourage you to create a thread in the Yamaha Wind Controllers area.

Back
Top Bottom