Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

This is a tad cool ...

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
As always, I'm researching something completely different and I run across something interesting. Here's a 1964 Selmer catalog. Check out page 8. Hey, that Bundy looks familiar ...

Funny in the Bundy pitch they talk about saxophones failing because they are poorly made.

I am under the opinion that Bundy's are not that well made. Parallel pivot screws are a scandalous affair.

Doing a bit of a rewrite of my original comment:

JfW, the reason why I posted in this forum is because the Bundy on page 8 in the 1964 Selmer catalog was made by Keilwerth. I owned one. It was a nice horn. Semi-recently Helen discovered that the Bundy alto and tenor from that same time were made by Dörfler & Jörka. Helen's got a very nice write-up on them here. These horns will be stamped "Made in Germany" and the baritones had a Keilwerth serial number. I think there were a couple French-made baris in there, too, but not made by Selmer. @Helen can comment about that.

The Bundy line was produced from 1927 to 1983, according to Wikipedia, and I think I've seen earlier ones stamped/engraved, "Geo. M. Bundy."

In other words, I think you cast your net a little too wide :D.

D&J never made baris, so that would have been a JK made bari.

Doing a bit of a rewrite of my original comment:

JfW, the reason why I posted in this forum is because the Bundy on page 8 in the 1964 Selmer catalog was made by Keilwerth. I owned one. It was a nice horn. Semi-recently Helen discovered that the Bundy alto and tenor from that same time were made by Dörfler & Jörka. Helen's got a very nice write-up on them here. These horns will be stamped "Made in Germany" and the baritones had a Keilwerth serial number. I think there were a couple French-made baris in there, too, but not made by Selmer. @Helen can comment about that.

The Bundy line was produced from 1927 to 1983, according to Wikipedia, and I think I've seen earlier ones stamped/engraved, "Geo. M. Bundy."

In other words, I think you cast your net a little too wide :D.

Yes, I guess I did. I couldn't see past these post-Buescher Bundy's I have queued up for work........ I just couldn't help but vent about the irony, as misplaced as it was....

:)

D&J never made baris, so that would have been a JK made bari.
Yah. I got that. Wasn't there a French company that also made baris for D&J or did I hallucinate that?

Yah. I got that. Wasn't there a French company that also made baris for D&J or did I hallucinate that?

I figured you might remember. It can be pretty obscure in the sea of D&J info however. That said, yes, ostensibly their baris were supposed to come from France. But sadly Uwe Ladwig never was able to ID their source. I'm not sure what happened to all the original D&J records--if JK got them, or if they stayed with Josef Dörfler.

Over the years I have been collecting images of the stencilled D&J stencil baris in hopes of one day being able to ID the manufacturer. However, the more I look at them, the more I think in making the baris D&J went back to their early days of getting body tubes and making the keys, key guards, etc, and finishing the horns (like they did for JK). These baris look very much like the rest of the D&J horns--complete with matching serial #'s and country of manufacturing. If a person didn't know better, you would think that they were indeed made entirely in Germany.

I looked at the 15xxx horn on the page in your link. I'd have a hard time against arguing that the keywork was from JK or DJ. It looks like both of the other two horns in that directory are also stamped, "Made in Western Germany." Hmmm. I guess you should also make sure your German-made Bundy doesn't have pearls on the keyguards and has a Keilwerth serial number.

When Selmer came out with the SeleS AXOS, they had to have a minimum of parts made in France so the horns could be stamped, "Made in France." If that was the case in Western Germany, I think that supports your argument.

While we're on the topic. Stencil: Olds Ambassador bari. Made by JK. http://thesax.info/piwigo/index.php?/category/2401. Stamped "Made in Germany" and has a JK serial. 1965/66.

Back
Top Bottom