Um. No.

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
http://www.pmwoodwind.com/instruments.cfm?c=1&instrumentid=2005&morepics=1

$3500.

I'm going to go through this point-by-point, primarily because I've seen a few too many dealers recently coming up with an unjustifiable price for "I don't know what it is" saxophones.

1. Late 19th century saxophones don't have rollers and single octave keys, except in very rare instances. That means that either the horn has had the keys converted or ... you've got the wrong date.

2. C'mon. Do a bit of research BEFORE setting the price. You'd find out that your "late 1800s" manufacturer was founded in 1922. It's not like I spent hours trying to determine this: it's the FIRST hit when you Google "Gastone Bini."

3. On the subject of research, I have mentioned that the low B design was very common for a lot of European manufacturers. It was a no-longer-patented design that probably cost a lot less to build, thus was a cheap saxophone gateway drug for beginners. This trend continued into the 1930s. Don't believe me? OK. Here's a Keilwerth Modell V from 1939. I can take you through low B Selmer Series 1922s, too ....

If I had to guess, I'd say that the horn was made by Universel. From France. Value? I think it'd be hard to justify more than a couple hundred $. Less, if it's high pitch -- and high pitch is very possible.

Back
Top Bottom