Unusual Similarities

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
This is essentially a first draft. I want to do some more investigating, but I had mentioned doing this in another thread, so I wanna give you something.

I had noticed an unusual similarity with a bunch of Germanic saxophones. An awful lot of them have a bell-to-body brace that looks like like this Kohlert Modell 1926 stencil. It's not your standard bit of wire or something. It's rather distinctive -- and I've used this feature to help folks determine if their sax is a Conn or Kohlert (note the [url=http://www.saxpics.com/cpg143/albums/Kohlert/Modell_1926/alto/silver/example1/7748975-1112-01800200-.jpg]low C keyguard[/url]).

So, I just quickly went through my gallery to see what makers used this feature. Here's a list -- and please note that I haven't compared them side-by-side, so there might be a couple that are "similar," but not "the same."

Akustik
Atlantic
GH Huller
Hohner
Kurt Gropp
Kohlert
Sächs - Musikinstrumente
Werner Roth (WERO)

I do think that the original horn to have this brace was the Kohlert Modell 1926.

Anyhow, the main reason why I bring this up is because I think that there were only a couple sources for all saxophone bodies. Helen's mentioned somewhere that there was one "maker" that had (I think) the main tube, bow and bell from three different sources. At the very least, I know that Sächs - Musikinstrumente was one of those big Germanic collectives and that Akustik was rolled into B&S - VEB.

At the very least, I want to look at these horns a bit closer.

Back
Top Bottom