Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

What's your Bass Clarinet Setup

To revive this yet again:
I'm using: a 1951 low E (Not Eb!) Selmer Paris, along with a Vandoren B44, V12 3.5 reeds, and a Rovner dark ligature.
Plus I'm considering trying another mouthpiece in the future, so that may change.
I now have a 1990sish? Model 35 Selmer Paris, same mpc, lig, I'm using both V12 3.5s and Blue Box 3s now though. (It's Serial #M57xx. Obviously last 30 years. About as much as I know other than the principal bass clarinet of the Ann Arbor Concert band used it before me, and they got a low C Selmer instead. Maybe I can have that one when they change horns again? =P )

Reactions: JfW
Well I'm now using a Selmer C* and Blue Box 3s. I don't get why I liked that B44 before, I said to Clark Fobes when I was at Clarinetfest that literally every bass mpc there I tried played better than it, and that's been true so far outside of it too.
Same horn as above unless I need a low C, in that case I can borrow a (university owned.) Buffet 1193 or Yamaha 622 from someone else here.

An update. I was liking the Fibracell 3 with the Fobes mouthpiece, but still having trouble with the low Eb. I picked up a Fibracell 3.5, and magically, the Eb was there, and very powerful. No problems over the break either. My buddies in the audience said that the BC was shaking the room when I hit the low notes. I might have to try a 4.

Well I'm now using a Selmer C* and Blue Box 3s. I don't get why I liked that B44 before, I said to Clark Fobes when I was at Clarinetfest that literally every bass mpc there I tried played better than it, and that's been true so far outside of it too.
Same horn as above unless I need a low C, in that case I can borrow a (university owned.) Buffet 1193 or Yamaha 622 from someone else here.
Well I now am using a Fobes RR and have been since November, I think it sounds a bit better than the C*.
Same Selmer Paris Bass, Vandoren Blue Box 3s, and Rovner lig.
I might try some different reeds though-I know a Vandoren rep will be here for Clarinet day Saturday, so I could try theirs, and I think some other brands will be sold there too hopefully. (Also how on earth has February gone by this fast?)

RR is a Fobes Facing. What mouthpiece model? Nova, San Fran, Debut, etc.

I’m currently playing on a Debut with a Facing I put on it that is similar to Fobes CF facing. Legere tenor sax Studio 3 reed.

RR is a Fobes Facing. What mouthpiece model? Nova, San Fran, Debut, etc.

I’m currently playing on a Debut with a Facing I put on it that is similar to Fobes CF facing. Legere tenor sax Studio 3 reed.
Whoops, forgot to put that part. It's an SF model mpc that I got used on the internet.
What Bass are you playing that on, out of curiosity?

Kessler 1st gen with low C. HR body.

I had been playing more open set ups of my own making. I may go back to them but I’m exploring this more conventional tip opening for now. I’m a fan of straight sidewalls inside a mouthpiece. These are commonly found in plastic mouthpieces. HR mouthpieces typically have A shaped sidewalls and sound a bit too dark for my tastes.

My setup: Selmer wooden bass clarinet (to low C) purchased in in 1991 with a Bill Street #4 (facing) mouthpiece with a Van Doren Java tenor sax reed #2.5.
I went through many mouthpieces (C*, D, B45, etc.) at great expense but always felt like I was "fighting the instrument" (never felt comfortable, always felt sharp with a pinched tone) playing it in a local professional Orchestra.
10 years ago a friend of mine recommended I try a Bill Street mouthpiece....she was using a 2 or a 3, which I tried but wanted a larger opening.
I purchased a "4" and it totally opened-up my sound; centered, dark, big, and even through all registers. The mpc also is a bit "lower pitched" thus I do not have to pull the barrel out a mile (or so it seemed).....plus just about every new reed I use "works"!!!

I am so enamored with the mpc that I actually purchased a second one (similar facing) and store it in a safety deposit box at my local bank - just in case my house burns down.........Mr. Street is elderly (in his 80's now) and still making mpc's, but no one lives forever...

I upgraded to a late (2004?) Selmer Model 37. It was played only a couple of years.

I have been using 3 mouthpieces with Legere TS Studio reeds. A Fobes San Fran AP, a Selmer C* that came with the 37, and a Grabner 3D printed blue/green prototype.

Hello all....
New member and first post, so I'm fitting in a little introduction before the gear announcement.

My aim is to recover and surpass my long dormant bass clarinet abilities.
I put it down 40 years ago.....

During Covid I actually got my flute playing back and beyond.
An old friend still had my bass clarinet and gifted it back to me a few months ago and after having it gone over,
I'm off to a good start.
Amazing how my fingers knew where to go before my brain did!
Other than being terribly out of clarinet playing shape in the beginning , my embouchure and support are intact.

So....its a 1940 CG Conn (low Eb).
It's what I played back in the '80's.....and still using the Otto Link Tone Edge 5* I used then.
I played mainly jazz on it along with saxophones and flute.
So I bought some regular Vandoren 2 1/2 reeds to start.....wil see how the reed thing goes.
One reed in the box of 5 was clearly the best.....so now I need to learn how to doctor up my reeds it seems.

The Old CG Conn may be rather dated but it plays very strong and and I'm learning to smooth out my playing through some of the known clarinet idiosyncrasies.
The more time I put in, the better this instrument becomes.....and I'll leave it at that!

Anyone familiar with prewar CG Conn bass clarinets and whether they feel this thing is a hindrance, decent or a gem please post your thoughts.
I'm fine with it so far.

my setup is leblanc 400-1965 selmer c* vandoreen optimum or bay lig with legere euro reeds 2.5 . my leblanc has the awesume bay neck. the neck completly transforms this leblanc

Anyone familiar with prewar CG Conn bass clarinets and whether they feel this thing is a hindrance, decent or a gem please post your thoughts.
I'm fine with it so far.
I did a bit of research, just because I wanted the trivia. Conn had clarinets available* in their 1882 catalog. No bass clarinets are listed, but I'm relatively sure those came out slightly after. So, you do need to specify which war :D.

* Catalog says that they didn't make them, tho.

Well of course and thanks....I've become too familiar with the term "prewar" in the world of vintage guitars!

My CG Conn bass clarinet has a 1940 serial number.

Back
Top Bottom