Which instrument to begin with?

My friends who play wind instruments tell me that the recorder may be the best option to start with.
Will I have enough expressive power, with the breath control and the variety of sound?

If you are a cello player, might I suggest tenor sax?

The range is close to that of a cello, so you will find that familiar. Like the cello the tone is more complex than the flute or the recorder.

I play sax and flute, and I find the sax easier. I don't find the recorder as expressive as the sax, but that might be because I haven't spent a lot of time on that instrument.

The sax will give you volume/tone with your breath instead of the bow, and vibrato with your lip instead of your fingers.

Control comes with practice, and if you have a good teacher to show you how to use your diaphragm for breath support, and the correct embouchure, IMO, you will be off to a great start.

I play sax, wind synth, flute, guitar, bass, drums, and vocals. Your second and third instruments are easier than the first, because you bring your knowledge that applies to all with you.

Notes ♫

Flute will likely make you light headed until you gain control of the embouchure, and recorder is on the other end of the spectrum - you need to hold back and not over blow the instrument.

Single reeds are easier to get a sound, but they sound pretty awful until you develop some embouchure control.

If it is happening fairly soon you might consider the melodica. It can be quite expressive - see this Austrian group using it to good effect . The individual playing it is in character (EVIL!) but despite their shenanigans they are musically first rate. I'd think it would be the logical first step for a pianist moving towards a wind instrument.

Back
Top Bottom