Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Your Baritone Setup

Ed

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Vito/Yanagisawa 800 Low A
King Tempo Low B flat
Selmer Soloist or S90
Rico Royal Reeds

I've been playing around with a Berg 90/2 but am probably going to stick with the Selmer pieces. I also sometimes will use a Runyon Custom or a Chicago Mouthpieces SJ.

What did you change?

I own one and generally like it (I'm going to spend some time with it tonight as I'm going through all of my bari mouthpieces).

That's what I figured. Mine has a bit of a hump about 1/4" from the tip that I think could stand being smoothed out.

Selmer Mark VI Low Bb
MP: Rico Metalite M5
Ligature: Rovner Light
Reed: Fibracell 2 ?

B&S Medusa Model Low A
MP: Rico Graftonite B5
Ligature: Rovner Dark
Reed: Fibracell 2 ?

I have an amazing 100/2 SMS Berg that I bought new in 2000 at Long & McQuade in Toronto when I was there for a conference. On a whim I went to the store (sans horn and reed of course), and play tested a couple bari pieces with a Rico reed (from them) and a Selmer Series II that they had in stock. Up until that point, I had been using a very fine vintage Berg that belonged to a friend who had hand-picked it from the factory in the 50s or 60s after trying about 20 of them. When I played this new piece, I immediately knew that it was "the one". Somehow, they had accidentally made one as good as their best vintage stuff. When I got it home I couldn't wait to try it out on my VI. It was truly fine. When I do play jazz on my VI, the Berg is the one I use. Tim Price once commented on my bari sound and told me that whatever set-up I was using ( my relacquered VI, Fibracell 2 1/2, and Berg) I should never change it. It had the quintessential bari sound.

The set ups that I listed are the ones I use when I play R&B or blues (which is what I mostly do now-a-days) on bari.

The m/p that came with my Medusa is an amazing Zinner marked with the numbers: BA 63-5. I don't know what their numbering system means, but it is a really nice piece. I use it too when the mood strikes me.

Ahh...Too many m/p's...Not enough time....Can you relate Ed?

Yanagisawa B991 (low A)
Classical: Yani #5, Lavoz 2.5, Vandoran Optimum lig
Jazz: Otto Link Super Tone Master (metal) 6*, Vandoren ZZ 3

On a whim a friend of mine, a killer bari player, purchased two Rico Royal GRAFTONITE B7 bari sax mouthpieces for $15. He was blown away. It has a smaller chamber than the Yani rubber piece and is really loud. I prefer the lows on the Yani but the highs are much better on the Rico. I purchased two, one for my grandson and one for my wife as they are easier to mouth than the bigger pieces.

Helen said:

Oh sure now it's not just Pete giving me grief over having a 100+ mouthpieces :oops:

I've tried about a dozen different bari pieces over the last couple of days. They were spread between two different rooms. At least I'm down to 3 baritones.

Ed Svoboda said:
Helen said:

Oh sure now it's not just Pete giving me grief over having a 100+ mouthpieces :oops:
Well, I can, if you want :p.

I think she did a fine impression of you. Now it would just be gratuitous. :D

Ed Svoboda said:
Helen said:

I've tried about a dozen different bari pieces over the last couple of days. They were spread between two different rooms. At least I'm down to 3 baritones.

OK, I was driven to count up my mouthpieces...Don't ask me why...It's a sickness I'm sure of it. I only have around 50 (give or take)... :eek: I didn't do an exact count because I would have had to open all of the cases, and that was too much trouble...Too many horns too!!... :emoji_astonished: Another illness? Or just another symptom of the original?

So for now Ed, you're up on me 2:1. But then I don't work them. If I did actually do mouthpiece refacing, I suspect that I'd have just as many, or likely more. :oops:

I'm sure there's a 12 program out there somewhere for us. If not, I think it's about time someone started one. :D

I play a Mark VI low A baritone (I have 2, an early one and a late one).

I started on a slant signature Otto Link hard rubber 7. After a couple of years I found a Lawton brass 7*B that I liked. I used that one for quite a while - over 5 years. I've been using a Ponzol M2 120 for 8 years or more. The old Ponzols have a lower baffle that I like on baritone.

I buy a lot of mouthpieces but I don't switch very often. I could still use the Link or the Lawton now and be happy. I place a lot of value on dynamic range. I like to be both the loudest and the softest baritone player in town.

That's one of my big things when I am testing mouthpieces. I'm looking for a certain tone and the ability to play all dynamic levels. I'm sure that this attitude is partially due to the fact that I play music that demands this. If I were only playing Rock I suspect it would be a little less important to me.

OK. I'll post:

I currently own a 1960-ish Beaugnier-made Vito low A baritone that has appx. 2% lacquer remaining. My mouthpiece is a Sigurd Rascher hard-rubber large chamber with a stock brass ligature and (usually) 3.5 Vandoren reeds. I prefer the long discontinued Modele Jazz.

The baritone I owned prior to this was a new Yamaha YBS-52 (two tone, low A). I supplemented my Rascher with a hard rubber Berg Larsen 110/0 when playing jazz.

Prior to this, I owned a late 1950's Keilwerth-made Bundy to low Bb. Lacquer. Perfect shape, although the neck was relacquered. I had a vintage Geo. Bundy mouthpiece mouthpiece and a long-shank knobby-end Selmer C* hard rubber. While I used the C* and Bundy mouthpiece on occasion, I primarily used the Rascher.

I would be Gandalfe's friend he refers to above :). Thanks for the kudos, btw. I'm playing a Yani B990 that I bought just before they went to the 991. I like the keywork and the intonation more than the Selmer I played in the 70s; in particular the intonation gives me one less thing to worry about.

I've been through a *lot* of moutpieces over the past 8 years. I've now come full circle to 1972 and play a vintage Brilhart Level-Air 7*. I have an 8 as well but can't quite get there. I alternate that with a Rico Royal Metallite M9, which has a a lot of volume and yet can maintain an edge at low volume too, which is useful. I also have an M11, but can't quite get there as well :). I also play an Otto Link now and again.

I don't own one yet ... so I used to play a school horn ... but they are went from aweful to unplayable so I just "steal" Garrett's Mark VI.

I'm seriously digging the Yani Low A and the vintage Selmer Soloist. It's a pretty nice combination.

My baritone set up is...

Selmer mk6 low A
Meyer HR medium #7
Meyer lig
Rico Royal #3

The horn serial # is 190,xxx. I bought it new from Charles Ponte in NYC back in 1971. Paid $850.00, a king's ransome back in those days. Probably worth at least $1000.00 today.:-D The horn sold without a mouthpiece, but Ponte threw in a nos Woodwind NY big old hr #4. It was a beautiful piece, never played, but very old. I had been admiring it while closing the deal on the horn. I pointed out a small lacquer defect on the sink drain part of the horn, so he threw in the mouthpiece. I don't think that it would happen that way today.

Another thought is coming into the side of my brain......I scoured music stores for just over a year before I was able to find this horn. I was looking for a new Selmer Paris baritone, preferably a low A, but the low Bb would have filled the bill. No one had either. I searched stores in Philly and NYC, phoned, and walked in, left my phone #. Thinking back to those days, I realise that there really weren't that many baritones of any make to be bought brand new in that year. Not in my area. And I don't believe that it was because of a lack of bari players, I think that it was because of the fact that by 1971, Selmer had just about ruined the competition courtesy of the mk6. I don't remember seeing new Conn, King, Martin, or Buescher bari's during my search. By 1971 these companies weren't much of a factor as far as professional level saxophones were concerned. H. Couf was around, and some players were going there, but the big 4 seemed to be winding down. So Selmer was busy keeping up with alto and tenor demand, and could afford to build baritones when they got around to it.

Back
Top Bottom