Barrels

Amen to that, boyo. Those who have never played a well-set up Selmer metal horn have little to no idea about how a metal horn plays.

And, the disturbing thing about it all is that it costs so little to find this out for yourself. The horns are cheap (relatively speaking), the functional restoration not all that much (no cracks in a metal horn), and the touch and feel is surprisingly like a wooden instrument.

And, amen as well to the barrel change. My metal Selmer horn came with a barrel that someone had applied pliers to to remove the stuck on thing, and I looked far and wide to find a replacement barrel (for a Bb horn).

Then, I saw an adjustable barrel for the same model of Selmer clarinet, only this one was for an A instrument. Well, as I usually pulled out a bit on the soprano horn anyway, and as the barrel cost under twenty bux, I went ahead and bought it anyway.

Guess what? Same barrel, as near as I could tell with my measuring tools, this by comparison with the original. The only difference was that the new barrel was stamped "La" instead of "Sib". Probably, they used the same part on both horns, only stamping the "La" on the back so that you could tell the difference between the two when they were on the pegs.

I was more ducking and running because, depending on the metal clarinet's design -- and I'm thinking more along the lines of a "skeleton" metal clarinet -- the barrel wall thickness really isn't that much. Definitely a small fraction of a wooden barrel's thickness.

I liked my Conn-made Pan American clarinet.

FWIW, I've never knowingly used a custom barrel; refer to one of my earlier comments about why. I have tried the little spacer O rings. I wasn't overly impressed.

Back
Top Bottom