Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

"ANTIQUE HENRI SELMER FRANCE PROTOTYPE ALTO"

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
... on ebait: www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-HENRI-SELMER-FRANCE-PROTOTYPE-ALTO-SAXOPHONE-W-CASE-SERIAL-109-PARIS/222640310859

There's a thread on SOTW regarding this horn that I contributed a bit to. If you can't (or don't want to) post there, I'd love to hear your opinions here. Mine was, "I don't think it's a Selmer. However, I don't know who made it."

Hey! I can post all the pics here!

a.jpg b.jpg c.jpg d.jpg e.jpg f.jpg g.jpg h.jpg i.jpg j.jpg

Well at first blush what told me it wasn't a Selmer was the name "Selmer" engraved on the right side of the bell. I have never seen the shape of the "S" in Selmer like this. If we go back to the company's article on how to spot fakes, engraving was one of them... This would qualify IMHO.

Also, the serial # makes no sense. Simply put. It is not now, or ever was a Selmer. There are no build similarities between it and Selmer Paris saxophones that I can see.

That said, what is interesting is that for as much time as you, me, and a whole bunch of those people over at SOTW, spend looking at vintage horns, none of us have come across something that looks exactly like this. This leads me to think that perhaps this was a prototype of some kind.

Wherever it came from, it seems to have been played a lot. Perhaps it's not a bad horn. Maybe it's even decent. But it certainly isn't a Selmer Paris saxophone.

There are no build similarities between it and Selmer Paris saxophones that I can see.
It's made out of brass and has keys and toneholes.

:p

Back
Top Bottom