Bought a post selmer 400

Bought a Buescher off the Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...&si=Biw8xJ%2BnZKfZnHYX7hDEKAxU7LY%3D&viewitem=

I was hoping to get it for less, but the seller drove a hard bargain and i got it for exactly the most i was prepared to pay. $450 total.

I did get additional pics and by what I was told, has all the snaps.

I am a fan of Bueschers and have a tenor in the same general serial range that is one of the best tenor's I've ever played. I'm hoping for somethig lush and warm.

Bitten by the GAS.

Those are nice playing and sounding models for less dosh as you well know. You should have a winner there.

Nice acquisition.

Thanks.

Given my experience with my Tenor, it's one I just wanted to have. Not that I need an alto, I have a few others. I lost out on a Bauhaus curved sop last week (alas, it was relisted within the hour after I bought this Alto), but have been seeking a 400 like this for years.

I will hopefully soon have it, so I can cross it off the list of things I would like to collect.

Got it today and am pretty pleased. It plays top to bottom out of the box, surprisingly.

Cosmetics are quite good overall. Lacquer is at about 96% with most of the wear on the neck. I'm not sure what caused this wear right by the cork: a numbskull tech who sanded a cork indescriminantly, or a player who contantly exhaled alcohol - maybe both! i found some stuff inside the neck that looked like dried jello, and found a little of the same substance on the outside as well.

pads are older, but working. All snaps and norton springs present. psuedo-Underslung octave key. Flower motif is almost perfect. keys are tight, but pads stick some. smells old and musty. I will disassemble it and clean, but probably won't overhaul it now.

The case is originaly, but most of the leather fringe on the outside has been torn off and one of the latches won't spring open. I hope to fix it, any ideas?

The sound is booming and less focused than my A880. It's also a touch more warm and lyrical. Both are brighter than the Bundy II, but feel far better under the hands. I'm not a big "oh i gotta be dark" guy. I've been there and it's kinda dissapointing. I do like a nice medium horn with response and warmth, and the response is very good on this Buescher. The ancestory of these two horns (400 and 880) could not be more different, but I sound like me on both with only a hair's bredth of difference.

Im not sure what the primary and backup will be. ah well.

A couple of the usual sources carry case hardware. Feregees? (sic?)

As for the stuff in the neck, that's some of that high note grease that Louie Prima told us about in his seminal composition "The Lip"...

Back
Top Bottom