Couesnon Low A Alto

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
Simular to the one in my calendar.

Linky. Despite the ad content, the price tells me the guy knows what he's got. It's 2500 Euros.

The gentleman that owns the low A alto in my calendar said that he really likes his horn and it's now his main instrument.

Has anyone checked the strap ring location on the standard vs low A models?

Simular to the one in my calendar.

Linky. Despite the ad content, the price tells me the guy knows what he's got. It's 2500 Euros.

The gentleman that owns the low A alto in my calendar said that he really likes his horn and it's now his main instrument.

Can somebody explain French Ebay
This auction
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380383507109?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Looks exactly the same instrument. Both in Strasbourg. Look at the case in both auctions. There is a circular mark on the cloth just up from the left handle post. There are identical white areas near the hinges of the case. The quality of the photos are different, but the instrument looks to have the same scuff marks and plate wear.

So is this a buy it now for 2500 euros as well as an auction for the same horn, and if so, why such different quality photos?

Chris

According to the person that e-mailed me about both ads, the horns have different engraving -- not to mention that the seller addresses are different. Also, the ads I linkied to are "free" eBay classified ads. I don't think those are available in the UK or the US.

I don't know if that UK ad is the same as the first ad I linked to. The tablet I'm using isn't that high res ....

It seems then that everyone in Europe is trying to offload their low A alto Couesnon altos at the same time. Well they do say things happen in cycles.

Speaking of high, I do know that Couesnon did produce high pitch horns and didn't make 'em. That wouldn't be fun after paying 2000 Euros ....

on the right hand side keys it has an extra lever (for what ?).
It has the normal placement of the alternative side F# and the 3 side keys

but then you see two additional keys
I assume one is the high F# but the 2nd one is it a high G - does anyone know ?

on the right hand side keys it has an extra lever (for what ?).
It has the normal placement of the alternative side F# and the 3 side keys

but then you see two additional keys
I assume one is the high F# but the 2nd one is it a high G - does anyone know ?

All the pictures of these extended range Couesnon altos I have seen have both high G as well as low A. The high G tone hole requires the crook socket to be modified by cutting it away.

I would love to get my hands on one.

I have just finished an early 50s tenor that was keyed to high F#. The extra mechanism really interfered with the octave mechanism, and required the upper stack, and consequently the lower stack to be vented really too low. Modification of the octave mechanism and filing some levers that needed more clearance, as well as reducing the size of the feet of the keys meant I could get the venting up, and it really freed up the instrument. It must have been quite frustrating to have played the thing for the first 60 years of its life!

I would be interested to see what compromises, if any, had to be made for the extended alto's extra key work.

Chris

Mmmm. I got an e-mail from another tech who said, "It has an altissimo G and low A!" I said, "You sure you're not looking at a D# trill key?" He said, "Oops. I think you're right."

Mind you, I haven't asked AhCheung about his horn, but I'd think it's probably a "traditional" D# trill and an F# key.

In this SOTW thread:
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...-11043-hight-F-amp-G/page2&highlight=high+key

Jazzbrass posted a link to pictures of an extended range alto he had. He wronglt titles the thread to suggest it went to G#, but he describes his sax as keyed to G. Sadly the link to the pictures no longer works.

There is an old video clip:
http://www.ina.fr/art-et-culture/litterature/video/CPF86644655/marcel-perrin.fr.html

that features a range of Couesnon saxes, and the alto is extended range - but again frustration, as it used to be all available (it is 10minutes long) but it seems a subscription might be needed, as it only plays the first minute to me now!

But notice the cutaway in the crook tenon in the adds in this thread. This is the same as the one in Jazzbrass' instrument to accommodate the higher tone hole of the G (so he says)

Chris

Taking a closer look at the photos above

Below shows the top F# above the top F at the front
KGrHqMOKiEE5bcv9on7BOhgKf5ng_21.jpg

At here you see the cutaway in the crook that would correspond to a tone hole at the back
KGrHqEOKoYE5ktTBeJBOhgKf68Y_21.jpg

And the picture at the back shows a very high tone hole at the cutaway, that I assumed was for G
KGrHqNhEE5pWj1gCBOhgK0NPLw_21.jpg

Chris

Point: there's a cutaway in the Buffet S1 neck and that doesn't go to altissimo G.

I'll e-mail AhCheung later today, time permitting.

Listen guys, I'm going to bed now

My edit is also wrong, but losing the will to live.

It is the F key in top pic that should be E

I think

unless......

Woken and refreshed!!

So, consensus?

Allowing for the fatigue fuelled inaccuracies of the labelling, is that a top G or not?

Chris

Back
Top Bottom